Old Rodrigo performance question

• I have always really liked this Rodrigo Constanzo video;

I just re-watched it for the first time in years and wondered what was going on at 4.45?
    Those pops and clicks are brilliant. At first I thought it was some kind of piezo but is that just a regular small condenser mic?
    And are the pops and clicking sounds coming from Party Van, or is the mic sticking on the drum skin over those dirty parts?
    Anyway, he rules. Very nicely done.
    HN

• Ah OK its called a lavalier mic i think (like someone on tv would wear on their lapel). I guess its not dynamic because of the tiny detail it picks up. Still want to know whether those pops and clicks are primarily live or if that's what Party Van is spitting out.

• So that's a condensor mic, a Naiant omni mic:
    http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/microphones/x-x-omnidirectional-lapel-condenser-microphone/

It's also a 2-ply (emperor) head, so it's two plys of head with a film of oil between them. Now I've found that that really poppy/crackly stuff only happens once the head has been beat/worn in (as you can see in the vid). It doesn't happen with brand new heads.

In this vid I don't have distortion turned on (like in the vid below) but the gain is set quite high, so it's clipping at the mic pre a bit (which brings out the 'clicks' in the 'pops' more).

You can see/hear more like that in this vid/piece which is ALL about that stuff:

Hope that helps!

• Rodrigo, that is wicked cool.

• Oh, and to be clear, the party van isn't doing anything (as far as that sound is concerned) there. That's just the sound of a mic like that up against a drum head.

The 2nd vid has more distortion on (different patch, but same distortion section as tpv), that's the only difference.

• Oh damn, that's brilliant, not bad for an old guy (forum title does read like that now, thanks raja). The info does help, thanks for that, amazing it's from that tiny mic, I love all that noisy stuff which sounds massive and micro at the same time. Who/what are you listening to at the moment Rodrigo? I've listened to some 'noise' artists and like it, but I find your stuff more musical.

• Thanks!

Yeah the condenser mic that close picks up a weird combination of things. Very much like a microscope, and once you through in higher gain for feedback, it becomes a complex/reactionary instrument.

To be honest, I don't listen to much noise music. I listen to a really broad range of stuff.

Here's my latest/favorite albums:
    Zs - Xe
    Aphex Twin - Syro
    Clipping - CLPPNG
    Sia - 1000 Forms of Fear
    18+ - Trust