monome versions/history

• I'd be curious to know something about the history of versions of the monome - there seem to be so many! I've seen grids with little rubber feet, with the strip of rubber (mine), with walnut, silicon and now aluminium housings, varibright (and there seem to be some varieties of that...). Probably a pain to respond to, but it'd be good to know just how the various versions differ. And what's the focus of development - what has driven the new versions? What were the improvements of each version over its predecessors?

I ask partly because I'd love to get another grid (mine is a walnut, non varibright, with bus power mod, m256-050 - so when was that made?) and it'd be handy to know how they all stack up.

• Ha! Thanks.

• i've got a 256 from that edition as well – they were made in q3 2007, if i recall correctly.

• That makes sense, pretty much what I thought from the link tehn posted. Apart from changes in the housings and the introduction of varibright leds, how else have they changed? For instance, I find my 256 starts to lag at refresh rates of around 35-40 per second - are the newer ones faster?

• there are numerous bottlenecks for refreshing. the fastest will be to us full-screen /map messages. if you're individually refreshing single LEDs you'll more likely get OSC packets clogged up, which has nothing to do with the hardware.

i haven't empirically tested new editions vs. old, but the newest firmwares are more optimized in general. the circuit architecture is improved as well. but you should realistically be able to do everything you'd want to do with the old grids.

• OK, thanks, I'll look into it.

• i have observed the bottleneck to be the serial connection itself. use the optimized output messages when you can (row/col/map) to cut down on data transmission. my apps also are very miserly about issuing commands in general, using some sort of "dirty" flag to indicate that a particular row/col/map needs to be redrawn.