Learning Max resources

• Haven't done any Max stuff before, but thinking about getting in to it and making the effort to learn. Thinking about buying this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Music-Sound-Design-Practice/dp/8890548452/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425063345&sr=1-1&keywords=max/msp

(Everybody seems to say good things about it.) The book's been updated for Max 6, and I've downloaded Max 7. Without going in to too much detail (because it won't mean anything to me!!) is there any reason why this isn't a good idea? I'm assuming that learning from a book written for earlier versions of Max is still going to include relevant stuff? I take it that Max 7 isn't that different from 5 & 6 that a book about earlier versions isn't going to be incomprehensible and irrelevant?

Also, any tips on other good learning resources gratefully accepted - I've googled lots, but anyone who wnats to chime in and cut the wheat from the chaff is welcome. But otherwise, other (better ?) books. I'm old school. I love my highlighters and sticky labels.

• theres plenty of good tutorials/resources built into Max/MSP. in help/Max Documentation.

also:
    right-click any object and look at its help file. shows you all the in and outs of the object.

you can eve unlock the help file to copy/paste from it or right-click objects within it to go further down the help file wormhole..

• the object help files / references are all u need in most cases. another tip- click on an inlet of an object to see all the different messages/attributes it can receive. in max it's pretty easy to learn as u go, rather than spend a bunch of time with tutorials.

• Already been said but the tutorials and help files in Max are incredibly useful. Additionally, that book as well as the Max4Live book out there are both well-reveiwed books. It really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

I have only made one really useful patch and it was a control software patch for using a 3D joystick to control via midi whatever you want. It took lots of time, experimenting, but was great fun and I really need to get back to Max, not sure why I haven't really considering that I paid for it, it is fantastically useful, and frankly a good bit of fun to experiment with once you know what you want to do with it.

I.e. if you are just looking to do basic patches and experiment, the tutorials will do most everything you'll want to do. The books and other resources are really about pushing the limits, working more efficiently, and using certain considerations of sound and program design to build effective and useful patches.

• Hi,

I'm working my way through this textbook, just going into the second theory chapter. I have worked through it page by page so far not skipping or missing a word. I have found it very helpful and probably wouldn't be here with a monome without it although so far I haven't come close to designing a patch for monome, but I'm sure it will come. The exercises build from the ground up, basics to max rocket science. It takes the mindset of a person learning a new language, as it takes time and dedication. I am a fan of the learning examples within max 6 but the book is helping a punk to understand electronic music theoretically and practically, so much that I haven't yet thrown the computer at the wall and reached out for the mustang!

X

• Thanks for the tips, all. I'll splash on that book then and dig in with the built-in tutorials, too. And do lots of right-clicking. Cue many stupid questions that - hopefully - will embarrass me in a year's time. :)