Can't get my new monome to function?

• Help!
    Right! just got an official monome finally, forget arduinome ;)
    lots of things have changed! right..
    i have installed monome_sum and loaded it up. the program finds my monome and says m0000013 monome i2c (that's all that is in the drop down) click connect it highlights the number purple like it is supposed to and nothing works at all??
    what's going on? help :(
    oh im on mac 10.7.5, monome 64 (used to be mk000013 i think)

• On 10.7 you need the ftdi driver; http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
    Apologies if you already tried that. Good luck!

• nice one man! gonna try it now! I remember installing them to use the arduinome but that was many HD formats ago now and the drivers were not at this version ;)

• still nothing :(
    no idea what is up??
    dying to start jamming! help!

• you can't simply rename the serial number. you need to also update the firmware. what do you mean by "used to" be mk000... and is now m000...

• to cut a long story short, the used to be mk00 and is now m00..this was in the description when i bought it on ebay so I am trying to figure out what this dude has done as he said it recognises the monome but he couldn't get it function properly now like it used to with serialosc! so i took the chance thinking sweet, i can work this out but no :(
    i had a look at that pirate rename software? am i right in thinking that changes the serial or do you also need to flash the monome as well with a programmer? i'm thinking he could have just updated the serial and not the firmware?
    any advice would be sweet! cheers

• thanks! working my way through now! :)

• can't get it to flash
    worked my way through the tutorial from the top, installed crosspack ect
    i have touched the two holes inside to get it into bootloader mode
    im navigating to my directory containing the firmware files (which have been edited to include my serial m0000013)
    ls (so i know I'm in the right directory)
    then I type
    make 8x8
    and get this: make: *** No rule to make target '8x8'. Stop.
    searched the forum for similar problems but found nothing?

edit: sorry don't think I got the entire bootloader folders, trying again now

• flashed OK but now it does not show up at all in monome_sum? or using serialosc?

scrubberfox$ make 8x8
    avrdude -p m325 -b 115200 -P /dev/tty.usbserial-m0000013 -c arduino -e -D -U flash:w:mk8x8.hex:i

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9505
    avrdude: erasing chip
    avrdude: reading input file "mk8x8.hex"
    avrdude: writing flash (4736 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.18s

avrdude: 4736 bytes of flash written
    avrdude: verifying flash memory against mk8x8.hex:
    avrdude: load data flash data from input file mk8x8.hex:
    avrdude: input file mk8x8.hex contains 4736 bytes
    avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 1.18s

avrdude: verifying ...
    avrdude: 4736 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (H:00, E:00, L:00)

avrdude done. Thank you.

got this so it's defo flashed, unplugged then put USB back in too, nothing?

• did you go through the newest installation instructions to install serialosc?

nothing shows up in the dropdown?

• OK, yeah I installed the lastest serialosc but had forgotten to put the serialosc external in max like a fool sorry
    now it finds my monome in the drop down, connects, but I have no visual feedback (led's) on some of the patches in monome_sum but I can hear them working, I get visual feedback on gome and on stepseq but nothing else? weird?

• @galapagoose this sounds like a varibright bug in sum-- need some sort of manual non-vari switch?

• thanks for the help! appreciated! I can confirm this is now working with other patches, started with the new test patch (nice!) and it's all good in the hood! can't wait start jamming!
    just need the monome_sum to work and its all golden! hopefully goose man can hook this tweak up!
    thanks again

• indeed that's been a bug since the beginning. i thought something about the mk update had fixed it but apparently not!

will have to take a look at the vari-detection code from the modules which seems to work fine. but of course adding a manual switch is possible too. will get it done

• the mark eats sequencer has a variable LED on/off check box that may be worth checking out?
    had the same problem with this patch/app (working with triggered sounds but with no visual representation on the grid) until unchecked the variable box

• @scrubberfox where did you get the bootloader files? I'm having the same problem and can't find them.