Molar VSTi (1.0b29 - 21 Nov 2010)

• OSX 256/128/40h VST + AU + config files:
    http://xferrecords.com/molar/MolarOSX.zip
    b28b fixes OSX issue w/ soundtouch timestretch crashing

Windows:
    40h/128/256 (b25):
    http://xferrecords.com/molar/MolarPC.zip

NOTES:
    - Molar is released as **donationware**. Donations encouraged but certainly not required. (if you choose to, my paypal email is in my profile here). You know what would make me even happier? purchasing Nerve at www.xferrecords.com.

-Molar is a VSTi (with audio in) and MIDI as input. You can shift-click on the GUI to enable pads, but you need a monome device to fully use the VSTi.

basic docs here:
    http://xferrecords.com/molar/molar_docs01b.rtf

basic (old) videos here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ioVm1sK9s

simple demo of SND (low rows) and LP1 (top rows):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ct3xurn7hs

Nov 21 2010: beta 29:
    -migrated the code to VSTGUI 4 which means the following:

1) PPC is probably not working
    2) you need OSX 10.5 or later
    3) you may have a performance hit on WinXP

for the rest of you it should mean GFX improvement

fixed: metasequence overdub
    fixed: communication when running multiple instances
    fixed: situations where Load WAV would not load a wav (uninitialized flag in code)
    fixed: clicking on border of selected pad would select pad 1-1
    -add: NOTE and NOTE LATCH modes now will send a CC instead (if NOTE assignment is set to -off-). CC value sent is first stalk in stepsequencer.
    -add: NOTE LATCH mode will now operate monophonic if row is SN1.
    -fix: minor improvement to diskload times
    -fix: some startup issues which could cause crashes
    -fix: some minor GUI improvements (splash was corrupty)
    -fix: GUI-default clicking (cmd-click) for Pitch, Semi, Volume
    -fix: pitch Semitones not recalling (audibly) on saved patch
    -fix: quiet noise (if pref-enabled) now sent to all output pairs
    -fix: when reloading a .fxp with multiple patterns the illuminated pads that show which pads have stored patterns when pressing the PAT function is now recalled correctly

Oct 24 2009: beta 24:
    - Fix when loading sounds on a folder just off the root of hard disk.
    - OSX version now looks for config file language-neutral ("System" VST folder).

Sept 19 2009: beta 23

Sept 19 2009: beta 22
    -added: grouped rows will metarecord-arm together

Sept 18 2009: beta 21

Sep 6 2009: beta 20

Aug 28 2009: beta 19

Aug 21 2009: beta 18
    (OSX) - AudioUnits integrated builds - AU's are now multiout capable in Logic8!
    (40h) minor fix for with C/P or Nudge on locations 9-16
    (40h) MULT page support (for viewing/editing steps 9-16 etc)

see readme for previous changes!

• SICK!!! Love that demo...more demos should include screenshots like this. Will it be possible to run Monochrome and Molar at the same time and just switch prefixes to jump back and forth? I know I'm just dreaming, but really great stuff here.

• Steve, is that going to output MIDI notes as well? I'd be ecstatic if I could play a MIDI device from the one-shot section rather than having to load in sounds....

edit: hmmm...i see in the other thread that you say it will do everything monochrome does so i'm hoping that's my answer...

(see, my ambition is to construct MIDI sequences in real time, and then capture them as audio for MLR style looping...working solely with MIDI I lose the decays of the sounds if I jump around in sequence position (I mean, I only get a note if I jump back before its note on message) and working solely with audio I lose the ability to sculpt my synth parameters)

• Awesome!
    I had dreams of a similar VST... Steve Duda is the man!

• holy crap! steve_duda this looks like the jam to mess with! can't wait for you to drop this.

on another note did you see all the really gross videos that got grouped with yours on youtube… note to self never search for molar on a full stomach ;)

• saw the youtube clip last night and was v impressed. youve answered my 40h question!! cant wait t test this out

• Actually, Steve, I have another suggestion:

I would love to see a bottom-row shift key that turns another row into plain (unsequenced) MIDI control messages. That way, we could then MIDI-learn to any Live functions we'd also like to control with the ole' 256.

• excellent looking, as always.

side note: great idea with the markers on the 256 - for my reaktor stepsequencer i sometimes get lost finding the downbeats, compared to the 40h.

• steve, since you named this Molar, there related videos on the side of the YouTube page are all nasty pictures of people's mouths!

the name is fine IMO (better than what i come up with), just thought id point that out. =)

awsome video, btw.

• mmm, looking forward to this, steve!!

• see first post :)

Sorry all about the YouTube surgery association - though I confess I laughed when I saw that after the video posted

Adam- I implemented what you want, I think. There is a Preset called "CC-IncRows".

I tested using the VST (which takes an additional MIDI track, MIDI in From Molar, monitor on, MIDI To IAC Bus, IAC Bus enabled as Remote in live prefs). The AU should save this whole extra-track step as it outputs to the I(last) AC bus directly.

If you want to add a CC row to the default (first) patch but just in one row say, this takes some setup:

in Molar: change desired row to CCINCRO in the "Mode:" display (hold shift-alt to assign the row at once). Also set the row "SEQ LEN:" lengths to 1 (again, shift-alt makes this faster) and disable/ctrlclick step 1 on the StepSequence for first pad in the row (so all sequences in the row are thereby silent, thus not retriggering each bar). Voila, CC fader with consecutive CC's for each button in the row.

note: It sends a different CC 'amount' (data2 value) each time from 64-127, as otherwise Live seemingly filters when it gets the same CC message twice.

-bugfix - MIDI CC (CCRow) was not sending 127 at maximum
    -bugfix for nudging a pattern with ties not wrapping properly
    -bugfix - pressing pad in EDITMODE at top pad of a velocity stalk should have zeroed that step, previously was only working if step was at 100%
    -wav files are no longer attenuated by 6 dB. You may want/need to halve any volume settings in Molar (e.g. row volume 100->50) to hear older projects sound like they did.
    -MLR-style repeats (hold 2 in a row) is now (perhaps) more MLR-like (uses the pattern in the leftmost pad in the row during loop)
    -4x4 mode reworked (should be renamed) to be linear, show/edit the active pattern in all rows at once
    -pref for true-audio-reverse in "MLR style" (2 buttons in a row pressed R-to-L)
    -pref for (generate quiet noise in order to) prevent Live from suspending the plugin when no activity is detected and the GUI is closed
    -editmode now flips through pages on a multipage sequence
    -META button now draws status for all rows
    -META+rightmost in row will re-enable the metasequence in addition to disable
    -mute/solo states save for all patterns/rows
    -mute/solo states now display in 'normal' view (non-edit mode on-device).

• omg jamz. up and working now to figure out the features!

edit: i can tell already this is gonna be SUPER rich.

• this is pretty great steve! my only problem is getting my dwindling braincells to remember what pattern is what when using this on the 256.

this reminds me very much of monochrome meets flip, and for the 256 no less.

thanks!

• Wow!!!
    Gonna have a deep look into it now :)

THANKS!

• steve_duda said:

"- I'd love to document everything, but chances are it will never happen. If anyone feels motivated to make docs for it I'm more than happy to help elucidate anything unclear."

How about a Molar wiki?

• > How about a Molar wiki?

would be great.

Someone donated (YAY!) which in turn made hell freeze over, which in turn made me start some docs (attached)

Requests are welcome, as are any questions (which will in turn help the docs).
    [edit: newer docs 2 posts down]

• yay docs! is *****@****.org your paypal accnt?

its in your profile yea!

• docs slightly updated here...

paypal, yes thats my email for it! cheers :)

I added that email to the docs too, feel free to use it for correspondence on MonoChrome/Molar as well.

But maybe edit/remove it from your post, as I try to minimise my daily intake of spam :)

• Wow, this looks incredible. Many thanks Steve.

Is there a way for 40h users to be able to edit steps 9-16 for a sequence via the pads, rather than using the mouse and VST?

• > Is there a way for 40h users to be able to edit steps 9-16 for a sequence via the pads, rather than using the mouse and VST?

Hey bongsau,

Sorry about this one but even the simplest of things get confusing to discuss :)

As you've noticed, everything defaults to 8-step Seq Len. on 40h, you can make SeqLen 16 of course (with the mouse only). To edit steps 9-16 of a particular stepsequencer, this takes the mouse (though you can nudge left or right 8 times, then the second half is the first, and you can edit it and nudge back, but I think I'm just being overly technical now, so NO, no you can't).

There's the row-sequencing (sn1) which can span 2 rows and collapse down to one. So you can also edit all 16 steps this way, then collapse it down to a pattern.

As for using the "edit" function to edit the 9-16 steps, not possible on a 40h currently. I'm not sure what a 'good' way to implement this would be (in my mind good = sensible to the user). I already used the sustain pedal to access the other 8 special functions.

Maybe if EDIT is held, and a sustain pedal event arrives, instead of changing the functions, it shifts the steps you are viewing/editing by 8 so you are looking at/editing steps 9-16. Sound like a plan?

Theres still the problem of the vertical resolution (e.g. 16 steps on a Loop). This is the kind of stuff that has no great solution in my mind (beyond selling your soul for a 256).

All thoughts are welcome.

I've been working on a Molar 4x4 version (out of boredom) for my korg microkontrol.. I've got it going in AudioUnits, now to figure out VSTSysex... :)

• >As for using the "edit" function to edit the 9-16 steps, not possible on a 40h currently. I'm not sure what a 'good' way to implement this would be (in my mind good = sensible to the user). I already used the sustain pedal to access the other 8 special functions.

Maybe in the case of the 40h you could add an additional edit mode, one for steps 1-8 ('Edit1') and another for 8-16 (or anything above 8) ('Edit2')? Not the most elegant solution, but it seems it's going to be workaround-ish anyway, for the 40h at least. And, sacrifice of a lower row function.

• Hi Steve

Thanks for the detailed response.

I did think that Nudge would be the best way to edit steps 9-16 although it could get a bit confusing in the heat of a performance. Would using the row-sequencing option mean that only 4 different sounds would be available?

A way to use the Edit function would be grand and either your sustain pedal option or the one suggested above by decrepitude would be most welcome. Sacrificing a lower row function for a 2nd Edit option would be a good workaround as it easy to change to various configs and can be tailored to exactly how you want to use Molar for specific sessions.

Anyhow, this aside, there is plenty to be getting my teeth into (groan) so many thanks again for a great ap.

• > Would using the row-sequencing option mean that only 4 different sounds would be available?

yes, though 4 loops could be a total of 64 different (short) sounds...

> A way to use the Edit function would be grand and either your sustain pedal option or the one suggested above by decrepitude would be most welcome.

pedal has more disadvantage than advantage versus the "Edit2", I suppose(you need a pedal, you need it routed, you need foot co-ordination)

... Looks like 'swing' lowest-row-function is going away for 40h builds ('swing' seems like the best candidate for removal, as you can CC-remote the swing knob)

> Anyhow, this aside, there is plenty to be getting my teeth into (groan)

I'm a fan of bad puns, even if it was acci-dental (sorry, I had to)

• > I'm a fan of bad puns, even if it was acci-dental (sorry, I had to)

No worries Steve, you're allowed. You bring great wisdom to this community. With all the great programming you do, I'll bet you're a calculus whiz! Molar has such a great amalgam of features, it truly is a crowning achievement for you - like a bridge between mlr and monochrome. I've been abscessing about it all day. It will be weeks before I get my fill of it and extract all it has to offer.

This vst is going to have a lot of impact. We will all be forever in-dentured to you.

There, now that we've gotten that out of the way...

• The puns need to be really bad to be good, but I don't have to drill that in your head....

*sigh*

Having just so much fun playing with Molar last night! It's such a revelation. Being the consummate breakbeat aficionado, this is just so frikkin cool.

So cool that I'm rethinking my entire performance workflow.

Just to report a few things:
    As you can imagine, rapid switching of loop mode wavs crashes Live. It's not hard to do.

I love the fact that you can see the filenames as you move through the wavs on screen, but as I said I'm all about freeing myself from staring at the monitor, so I wonder if there is a way to implement a visual indicator on the monome. Maybe on rows 2-7 (40h) and 2-15 (256) you could have a pad light up for a given wav "position", or even better - a quick select of that exact wav by pressing one of the buttons in those rows.

As I said, Molar has revolutionized my approach to LivePA, so this is why I am looking at these other possibilities for Molar.

I also noticed that I had errantly placed a .mov file in the same folder and Molar did attempt to play it, creating some nasty noise. Switching to the next wav - no problem. Funny that it would actually try to playback that format.

I'll continue to report my findings on this wonderful beta.

And a possible feature request, if it makes sense (no rush):

Could we have user presets for Molar (and Monchrome for that matter.) These are both VSTi's right? So, could we send program change messages to change user/factory presets? This is just my initial idea of how to switch between 'songs/grooves' improvisationaly on stage as the moment dictates. ( I abhor big long prepared sequences, ala Depeche Mode)

But then there's the innovative mind of Sir Duda that thinks of ideas I could never conjure in my feeble mind. So, maybe Steve you have another approach to this challenge: I want to be able to call up certain groups of loops on the fly in a performance context (again emphasizing that this all can be done without screen viewing) without stopping the music. Ideally, loops from one group could be playing back as another group is put "on deck" so to speak (loaded into a ram and ready to be triggered.) Maybe in the .cfg there could be switchable groupings of paths?

• _________________________________________________________
    April 4th:
    - reloading songs/fxp presets should allow for directory navigation (tested only on PC)
    -altered the cc incrows preset (which should be named cc rows now) to be a good starting point for sending MIDI CC's
    -fixed the crash reloading on 128 (and some other 128 fixes too, though I haven't tested everything so there might be 128 issues)
    -new preset 'triplets' with triplet feel
    -add pref to optionally prevent '/clear' when host transport is stopped
    -fixed: PIT (pitch edit page on-device) now reacts to semitones correctly.
    -graphic bitmaps switched from BMP to PNG
    -fixed issue: unable to save wavs
    -fixed issue: recordlength (position) being anchored to top row length, it should now match whatever row is recording.
    -fixed: holding two buttons in a LTG row now plays the appropriate steps.
    -fixed: problems playing back metasequencing in multiple rows
    -fixed: a loop no longer has to be loaded before capturing Audio Input
    -fixed: Double (load multiplier) force-reloads loop
    -change: Double (load multipliers) removed from VSTParams.
    -fixed: another problem with audiocapture cycle length, the first row's length is now audiocapture (maximum) length, to prohibit any further weirdnesses.
    -fixed: properly updated the config files
    -very tiny fixed sync offset to compensate for Ableton Live's sync
    -fixed problems with audio inputcapture desynchronized
    -edit mode LED's display in stop
    -volume draws on recording channel
    -refinements to the right4 LED's in WAV page: Catpured/Capturing Realtime/CapturingNextBar/CapturingThisBar
    -volume presses rescaled so 100% when rightmost button is pressed
    -WAV+PIT will "commit" any current pitch shifts on channels w/loadmethod2
    -Warp VstParameter Labels now display "off" at lowest as they should
    -Transpose control now updates VSTParameter properly
    -PITCH will now use a FFT (shift pitch on load) if FFT (soundstretch) is selected as the load mode for this loop row. The LED's in the pitch page (and the row on screen) indicate the realtime pitchshift amount, so if you press a pad in this row with FFT, you will hear the pitch change (and a tiny glitch as the file reloads and calculates the pitchshift) but the LED will not change.
    -Looping on a segment of steps (hold one in row, press another) now allows you to display/edit the looping pattern/segment (in both EDIT and 4x4).
    -params adjusted on Monome now update immediately on GUI
    -Gate/Swing can be set using Monome per-row
    -clicking Shift-Paste will paste the current visible page of the stepsequencer only (pastes from Page1 of whatever pattern you clicked COPY on).
    -under NUDGE, the 4 rightmost buttons on a 128/256 will set row mode (SND, SN1, LTG, LP1)
    -improvements to displaying audio input under WAV:
    rightmost-minus two: is the "punch in" pad which now flashes to show that recording is active. Otherwise this pad is lit Solid indicating that this row is our 'record destination'.
    rightmost-minus one: this is the 'capture next cycle', pressing this will show it solid until the next cycle, at which point the 'capture this cycle' illuminates
    righmost: 'capture this cycle' illuminates if pressed, at the end of cycle the LED will change to the right-most-minus-two (solid, indicating something has been recorded)

• >re: LED, a folder can have up to 256 wav files and you have 8-16 LED's.
    re: press, same problem as above, in addition the rightmost4 buttons in a row have existing functions (save buffer in next beta/input to buffer/next bar to buffer/this bar to buffer)

>so, I see one of two workarounds to the above problems:
    A) config file pref for this (per-row?). When on, Molar loads (X_SIZE) wavs and ignores the rest in the folder, and overrides the rightmost-4 input functions on this row.
    B) if # of wav's in folder is greater than 1 and less/equal to X_SIZE, then it goes in this mode (no preference).

Please forgive my noobishess on this question:
    I'm wondering maybe then if wav mode could be more like the edit mode (affecting the last selected pad) where the whole grid is being used instead of just pads on the selected row. The functions we have now (increment, decrement and 3 captures) for 'wav mode' would reside always on the top row, and rows 2-15 (2-7 on 40h) would be for direct loop selecting....maybe. ;-)

• The wav capturing is also very appealing to me. I do a lot of vocals live, so I'm hoping to do some capturing of my voice in Molar.

But I'm having some difficulty getting my head around the 3 modes. 'Next bar', (second button from far right) is the one I tend to have the most success with. The 'Continuous' and 'Current' are stumping me however. I guess I need a little more guidance.

Btw, I did watch the video several times but still a bit confused. I thought I understood how all 3 operate, but I'm not getting signal recorded through 'current' or 'Continuous' with any degree of predictability.

• > I'm wondering maybe then if wav mode could be more like the edit mode (affecting the last selected pad) where the whole grid is being used

As wav's are per-row, it made sense to me for wav presses to be per-row.
    "last pressed" functions are sort of a crutch, I could add in the requirement to push the actual button before mode entry (e.g. hold edit, nothing happens until you push a pad to edit. Which would be a nice preference maybe)

I think that in the case of wav, it makes the most sense to first have a push in the row to enter a "wav page view". Otherwise you might me loading the wrong row (oops I thought row 3 was selected last!) and might get lost, or replace a capture audioloop etc.

While this makes it 3 pushes total to jump to a wav, it's still only one if you're already in the wav mode. Well I'll add it and you can tell me if it's how you like.

I'm more concerned with loading the wavs in a live-performance situation, theres a tiny CPU glitch as of now when I load a file/resample it. (not enough to hurt an audiences ears but enough to derail multi-computer sync for instance). Its a concern because it's not an easy fix. I need some good thread management / diskstreaming code. A bit out of my league, and cross-platform would make it a project in of itself. Sigh... I'll ask around but I've noticed a lot of apps have similar problems loading from disk (e.g. FL)

> I'm not getting signal recorded through 'current' or 'Continuous' with any degree of predictability.

Current (rightmost) and Next (rightmost-minus-one) operate quite the same. I can't help explain (I'll make a better video demo of these later), you might have found a bug, but regarding Current verus Next I doubt it..

Capture Continuous (3rd from right) is the most confusing right now, because it toggles (recording, or "not recording") based on the state when you push it (default state = "not recording" of course). Using one of the other capture buttons, or loading a loop forces it back to "not recording".

• Very helpful Steve, thank you!

>While this makes it 3 pushes total to jump to a wav, it's still only one if you're already in the wav mode. Well I'll add it and you can tell me if it's how you like.

Awesome. That appears to be quite a revelation actually. You might consider applying this principle to other modes as well, essentially creating "sub modes"?
    One more button press really isn't a hard sell to achieve exponentially more control. Given there are other situations which require multiple presses already (e.g. a complex meta sequence) I think your proposal makes sense.

I'm only guessing, but the first 4 buttons which currently control wav selection could be reduced down to 2 in order to retain increment/decrement AND accommodate the furthest-most left button press to invoke the so called "direct wav select" sub-mode. (

• this crashes abelton 6 or 7 on my intel mac..

does anyone have it working on mac?

eager to try after that demo video! making this work with live input for realtime looping seems exciting...

any way to trigger the loop recording with my fcb1010 foot pedal?

• Do the crashes happen while your switching a loop through the 'wav' function?

If this is the case, I know Steve is aware of this and working on a fix. You can work around it by switching less quickly. This would happen to me and apparently is caused when switching wavs too fast. This was covered earlier in this thread. So now when I switch to the next or previous loop I wait a short bit before switching to another - no crashes since.

• did you check that all the paths in the config file are valid (I think this was my problem)?

• I'm aware of two crashes with beta1. Such is the nature with a 'beta' sometimes.

a little gem of information for software users:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Crashes are easy to fix once they are found. Finding them is tough, it rarely happens by accident, a programmer usually needs to re-create the crash before he is certain there is something to fix.

Therefore is is important to provide a developer with information when reporting a crash, ideally the steps to reproduce the crash.

As a user it is hard to know what information is useful, of course. What you were doing just prior to the crash can shed light on the situation. (examples: it crashes as soon as I add the plugin / it crashes when I first hit play / it crashes randomly after hours of use / it crashes trying to delete the plugin).

Also when crash reports come up on OSX, the information included inside can be useful for locating the area of code which crashed. the 'most important' part is the thread that says crashed (e.g. "Thread 0 crashed") - select the text for this thread/copy/paste to developer.
    ----------------------------------------------------

I've fixed the file-loading crash (I'm fairly certain).

The other crash I'm aware of is related to the Config file not present (check docs, if noteout says 66 config is missing).

I've been working on commercialware version of Molar for the Korg MicroKontrol and Korg PadKontrol. Its a lot of fun, more than I anticipated. It does some tricks that I should be able to get back in to the Monome versions.

If any Monome users own either of these devices and are interested in testing, send me an email with which device and what OS (I'm still developing on Windowz, but I'll be porting back to Mac OS this week).

-Steve

• for me it was the folder loading crash on start up of live.

removing the apple loops from the config file fixed it...

great work!

• i had the same crash. but since i found the same fix i chalked it up to something i did not molar.

• i have a question about this, i admit i haven't delved into it to heavily yet, but if your using this in live performance and all the samples have to be specified in the vst .cfg file, how would one change all the samples in the kit live?

would i have to have multiple copies of the same vst with different .cfg files? and just altering the routing of the monome for control over each one?

• Take a look at the section of the manual which talks about the WAV functions.

If you consider that each path in the .cfg represents a row, you can organize a grouping of samples for each row in it's own folder. By holding down the WAV function button (usually defaults to bottom far right) and pressing the 1st and 2nd button in a given row, this will select the 'previous' loop/sound. Holding down WAV and pressing the 3rd and 4th button will advance to the 'next' loop/sound in that particular row. Be sure not to change samples too quickly to prevent a potential crash.

Just to be clear - Keep in mind these functions and their locations could change in future releases.

• Question for Steve - will some creative naming conventions help in orgainzing samples for a given row?

Something like:

01_badassdrumloop.wav
    02_badassdrumlbreak.wav
    03_badassglitchbreak.wav

and so on....

???

• > would i have to have multiple copies of the same vst with different .cfg files? and just altering the routing of the monome for control over each one?

I've just supported multiple instances in the upcoming release (you can run multiple copies of the plugin at once and scroll between every instance on the monome itself - joy!). This will make things more flexible for live performance soon.

However there are not multiple config files per se as of now - I was planning on making the 40h use preferences 9-16 for every 2nd instance (on every config - noteout, output, default row mode, and paths).

I could make multiple config files but i think using presets is probably the better solution. (I have 24+ different plugin versions right now all using the same config-loading code).

I made this quick video of running 2 instances of Molar_PadKontrol, 2 instances of Molar_MicroKontrol, and one instance of Molar_256. I had 20 instances of Molar running as a test last night, kinda fun :)

But you can set paths manually (with the load button, err I think it is the 2nd COPY button in the 0.1 molar release) and the paths save in that particular host-songfile-instance and/or exported VST/AU preset.

> Question for Steve - will some creative naming conventions help in orgainzing samples for a given row?

sure it could, multiple wavs in a folder is more intended for composition and scrolling through sounds than a live thing. If you want to house all/a lot of your audiomaterial in Molar, it would be better to use multiple instances and switch between the instances, this way all sounds are in RAM.

Also Molar has a live input, so you can also feed longer things into it from an audio track. Also you can use MIDI Out to trigger external clips (well, this requires MIDI Yoke on PC/VST/Live or IAC Bus on OSX/VST/Live).

• New Molar and Monochrome RC19 posted:

OSX 40h/64 VST+AU:
    http://www.xferrecords.com/monochrome/MonoChromeOSX.zip
    http://www.xferrecords.com/molar/MolarOSX.zip

OSX 256/128 VST+AU:
    http://www.xferrecords.com/monochrome/MonoChromeOSX256.zip
    http://www.xferrecords.com/molar/MolarOSX256.zip

Windows:
    http://www.xferrecords.com/monochrome/MonoChromePC.zip
    http://www.xferrecords.com/molar/MolarPC.zip

1) (BOTH) The plugins will now react to presses, output MIDI, and LED’s when the host transport is stopped.

2) (BOTH) Multiple Instance support. You can run multiple instances of the same plugin. In the plugin window, it will display “REMOTE” in red along the left side, indiciating that this is the instance which the hardware is interfacing with. Use “Pattern” hotkey + lowest-row to switch between the various instances (choose which plugin instance the hardware is controlling/displaying).

3) (MOLAR) Wav saving. The intention here is for saving captured audio (audio input capture). The wave file is autonamed with the BPM and date. This way you can re-open a saved plugin (preset/song) and the audio will automatically load. You must create a folder named “Molar” (without the quotes) and place this folder in the same location as the config file (Windows: same place as .DLL, OSX: Library::Audio::Plug-Ins::VST)

4) (MOLAR) additional row mode: LoopTrig (LTG). Unlike normal loop rows, these loops stop when you let go of the pad. Also, they retrigger from “step 1” every time, (synced relative not absolute).

• Wooohooo!

I'll be testing it tonight for sure!

Hey Steve - just a couple questions:

Could you perhaps explain a little more on this:

"But you can set paths manually (with the load button, err I think it is the 2nd COPY button in the 0.1 molar release) and the paths save in that particular host-songfile-instance and/or exported VST/AU preset."

The way I understand it - for each instance you can have a different sample for a given row (each row's samples coming from the same folder) and once you have the samples you wish for each instance you can save it all as one preset?

Will samples play simultaneously on row2 (for example) for every active instance?

Also, I like the idea of using 9-16 on every other instance for the 40h.

Thanks for bringing Christmas early this year!

• One more - May I deduct that you can have 8 instances of the Molar 40h, and 16 instances of the 256 version? (Obvious question probably - or maybe I have 256 envy...)

• >have a different sample for a given row[...] save it all as one preset?

yes, the paths for each loaded sound are in the preset/host songfile.

> Will samples play simultaneously on row2 (for example) for every active instance?

not positive on the exact question, I can interpret that two ways. Each plugin instance is independant (all settings you are used to). They share:
    -config file (default settings).
    - "instance indentification" (64 instances maximum)
    - OSC communication
    - system-level MIDI communication
    ...so you choose which plugin you are controlling with the Monome, but they all have a mind of their own.

> Also, I like the idea of using 9-16 on every other instance for the 40h.

Yes, I'll add that next go-around, I think it slipped my mind fixing some last minute bugs. But then again it might be nice to have 4 defaults e.g. so feel free to give me feedback on how many instances you like to use etc. once you've used it a bit.

> 8 instances of the Molar 40h, and 16 instances of the 256 version?

sensible guess, most of the 'limits' as you've noticed are as such (device size related) In this case, there's a 64 instance fixed limit with all versions. You, can use the 3rd row from the bottom + PAT to 'scroll' instances beyond 8. I light up two LED's in this row to show you can scroll left or right with presses... I'll get to docs improving soon

>Wooohooo!
    >I'll be testing it tonight for sure!
    >Thanks for bringing Christmas early this year!

glad you feel that way, cheers :)

• > not positive on the exact question, I can interpret that two ways.

Let me rephrase - If I've started up a loop on row #2 of instance #1 and then I switch to instance #2 and start another sample on row#2, will the samples from row 2 on both instances play back at the same time?

But I can certainly figure this out tonight!

Whew! Now my head is spinning!! (That's a good thing actually.)

With all the possibilities you've given us with multiple instances...

Man! it's gonna work my already addled noodle. ~;-)

• noodle=brain

Oh, almost forgot - just bought "Pay here to click" off of Beatport today. Good stuff!! Should add a few cents to the royalty check.

~;-)

• my brain feels the same.. or worse!

yes, consider each plugin instance is its own everything, like any plugin.

they aren't literally separate, they all share the same line to talk to monome, but they only talk one at a time, whoever "has the phone" passes it along when the monome says to)

-Steve

• nice work! ill have to have a play.

• Oh man - this is so sweet.

I just got off a multiple hour Molar binge and I'm so stoked at the possibilities. I did my testing with the PC/40h version this evening.

No doubt I was missing the obvious with the multiple instances. Of course it works like any other plug-in in that way. Ah well...

OK - here's what I've discovered so far, even beyond the feature points you described:

Direct selecting of samples for a given row-
    Press WAV, then the first button in a row and you will now see a button lit for each sample available for that row. And BONUS - the current sample being used will be flashing! Awesome.

I know you were going to try to implement this and you've succeeded far beyond my expectations. Works great. Rapid switching of samples no longer invokes a crash although a slight glitch is heard. As you said, switching samples in this manner was not meant for live use and now with multiple instances supported one could build quite a robust performance setup.

Fwiw, if I had my ultimate wish, the glitching caused from sample switching would be fixed (knowing this is an inherent issue with streaming from disk) since I was having such a blast switching drum breaks in legato fashion. Quite fun I have to say! (I know I can create a work around to do this within a given instance of Molar) It would be pretty challenging to do this switching between instances - particularly for breakdowns.

Was the 'reverse' option in MULT always there? (4th button from bottom). Awesome. This really rounds out the MULT function.

Some other observations:
    I've noticed that some loops (at normal Molar warp) cut out on (or around) beat one. It doesn't happen consistently and sometimes many measures will pass without a hiccup. Then it might do it every 4th bar for a few passes and then nothing for a while - quite strange. But - if I up the warp to .5 the problem goes away. It seems to happen on loops which are 2 bars or longer, but (of course) Molar defaults to playing just the first bar. This may just be an inherent gotcha with the 40h and certain loops, yes?

There was no readme for rc19 in the PC download - there was however one in the zip for the OSX version.

I've only scratched the surface, so I'll continue to test more in the next few days.

Molar is by far the most exciting thing I've experienced in many years. I feel very, very lucky to be part of this community.

Rock on.

• holy moses. steve duda you made my xmas.

• Stevo great great update and a great Xmas present to all of us !!!!!

Ok now dont want to sound like a nagger and all !! but this is so close to perfection , and I can only imagine steve been a perfectionist as his updates and forum replies are lighning fast !!!!!!

1) I get buzz sound when I hit stop in live
    2) the luxury in drag and drop within the GUI it self and not within the config file , would seriously make the app a breez !!!!

I have no idea how much programming this involves !!!!!!!!!

Hope I did not sound like a nagging sob , this is already trully amaizing !!!!!!!