using mlr to resample in a live setting

• Can someone run me through what's involved in setting this up? Essentially I want to be able to play along with a banjo player, sample what he's doing, then chop it up with mlr while keeping a beat going. Seems like it should be easy but I'm not familiar with taking live audio into Max. A step-by-step would be awesome.

I'm on XP and have an Echo MIA MIDI soundcard. My live rig is a Macbook G4 with NI Audio Kontrol 1 midi/audio interface (haven't hooked that up, yet). Some tips on getting the audio to work every time (e.g. suggested settings in Max) would be great, too. [ Sometimes I have to run iTunes before Max will make any sound ]

• i'm not sure how functional it is in windows, but mlr 2.27 allows for recording pretty easily.

click the "thru" button next to the "dac" button so that it's orange, bring up its volume

set a row to one of the inputs 1-8, then use the bottom sample recorder.

• holy crap that was so easy... it just worked - cool - thanks!

No more, "Well, theoretically, it can sample live..." then 1/2 hour of my bored friend watching me fiddle with Max settings. I just assumed it was more complicated than that. Wow, this is soooo cool.

• yeah. i always put off trying to use it thinking that it was complicated, but then when i figured it out i was like "whoa....... tiiiiiight"

cause i'm the type of guy that says "tight" when things are tight.

• I can roll with tight.

So how could I use this in an ensemble situation? It seems like I'd want a mixer with an input from each instrument out to one channel going into my interface, then sample something, then flip to the next mlr input, flip between inputs on the mixer...

Curious what a live setup might look like and also solo workflow.

• not sure about the audio issue regarding itunes. is that on mac or xp? the only major issue i've had with msp and audio occurs if i run it with my sound card not attached when the previous session had it attached. then there's no audio until i select the built-in card manually (it's looking for the unattached card). silly things like that.

as far as recording real-time into mlr, it's a little tricky. the main thing to realize is that it starts recording into the buffer on the next beat after you press record (i.e. when the tempo light flashes next). this occurs regardless of what the quantize is set to. this makes things difficult if you're trying to record someone else and want an entire bar captured in time. because of course they can't see that little tempo light and can't hear a click, etc.

you really just need to practice with it a bit to get this timing down. sometimes you'll need to shift things back a bit to get it to loop properly. for example if you start recording a loop a beat after you intended, you may have to play it a beat earlier (press button 7 or 8 in its row) to get it to line up properly.

this can certainly be accomplished tho. in case you haven't seen my video over at http://vimeo.com/311236 you might wanna check it out (shameless self plug :) there's some mods to that mlr to make it work so seamlessly, tho. and i'm listening to the tempo in the headphones as well.

• Headphones would be okay w/ me. That makes a lot of sense.

Something tells me I'll have to practice a lot to get things to sound right.

The kind of stuff I think I'll be doing soon (jamming with a free-weirdoid-jazz band with flute, bass, effected guitar)) I think timing won't be a huge issue.

Eventually though I want to do it with a strong rhythmic element, e.g. build rhythms from snippets of what's being played.

• I'm working on some video right now that I recorded over the weekend jamming with Decrepitude that illustrates live loop capturing in mlr.

My whole rig is set up to record live loops in mlr from audio out of my E-mu PX-7, starting with nothing pre-recorded or pre-sequenced. The timing thing is definitely crucial to make this happen. I have a button on my faderfox set to trigger go in mlr. The timing works out so that if I hit go right on the & of 4, the loop starts recording right on the 1. Works every time.

I'll get the video posted soon...