OT - Help w/ new touchosc labels

• Okay, so I updated touchosc to the new version that allows labels, which rocks. But, I think there's a way to receive information (labels and values) from Live. In the hexler.net update announcement (http://hexler.net/label-me-if-you-must), they say:

"Adding labels should be pretty straightforward, added bonus of TouchOSC’s receiving capabilities is that you can send OSC messages of type string or any kind of number to the control and have it displayed."

And someone posted the following comment:

"FYI - to get the label values sending from ableton just give the label the same name as the control and setup the reverse routing."

So could anyone who knows more about osc that I do explain how I can get, say track names to appear with faders, or even the actual track volume in dB to appear?

This is not really necessary to my functionality, but it sure would be cool!

Many thanks.

• Did you find a way of doing this? - I can't find away of labelling using the v.1.1 TouchOSC editor

• Nope.

I can add a name label that I create to an object in the editor (label object sits on top of the control object), but I can't get labels to automatically pull from track names in ableton.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intended functionality there...

• i don't think you can change the label names via osc unfortunately.
    i spoke with the guy that made touchosc (rob? i think) a while ago about the possibility of changing the colours of objects and also labels over osc so maybe it'll be there in future updates.
    send him an email to remind him ;)

• You can update the labels in touchosc. From hexler.net:

"Adding labels should be pretty straightforward, added bonus of TouchOSC’s receiving capabilities is that you can send OSC messages of type string or any kind of number to the control and have it displayed. "

• @ lukas412:

That's what I thought, too. Can't seem to figure it out, though. Have you actually been able to get it to work? If so, could you offer a step-by-step guide?

• I'm guessing you are using the remote midi script touchosc.py to get the connection to TouchOSC from live? http://monome.q3f.org/wiki/TouchOSC I reckon that the trick is in the code. I might be talking bollocks here, as I'm no programmer but I've spent an hour poring over these python scripts and I can speculate the following...

The code as it stands was written for the specific controllers available, mapping these signals to cc messages etc, which enables you to map these to Ableton. It doesn't take into account receiving strings as this was not in the TouchOSC functionality when the guy wrote this script. That's what I think anyway, I've tried the same techniques as yourself with no success, which is when I started looking at how this all work.

I'm sure the functionality is in the OSC.py script, but i isn't in the script that interfaces with TouchOSC. It would basically be a way to triggeer OSC messages to send to the TouchOSC I guess mapping such things as /live/clip/info to /1/label1. Could be part of the config file...

/1/rotary1
    /1/fader1
    /1/label1 = /live/clip/info

That's the extent of what I think might be the problem. We have to sit in wait for a Python scripting god to bring their minds to bear on the matter :)

I guess this would be the same for the LEDs too.

• It works to update the labels from max for live in this manner,
    /1/label1 "labeltext"

:)

I'm using touchosc 1.4.2

• The TouchOSC script doesnt do any label / name management, it only acts as a midi / osc bridge. You need to use something like LiveOSC to get name information and the likes. I could maybe combine the two in a cut down version

• I've just worked this out... the answer is simple, but my head didn't get it until now.

You use TouchOSC scripts to RECEIVE messages to Ableton from TouchOSC.

You use LiveOSC scripts to SEND Live messages to TouchOSC.

In this experiment I created a simple layout using the editor, and made one Label H object with the following settings:

Name: /live tempo
    Osc Auto: Unchecked, and in the text box below
    /live/tempo
    Taxt:/live/tempo

Rest of the stuff is all colour, size etc.

I uploaded this to the iPhoine, fired up TouchOSC and set up the network to my computer, outgoing port whatever you set the touchosc to, incoming port 9001 (the port defined in in LiveOSC.px)

I adjust the tempo in Ableton, and the text in the box changes to display the tempo.

The main point here is that both these scripts can run simultaneously. TouchOSC for mapping the iphone controls to MIDI, and LiveOSC to send OSC to the iPhone.

For a list of all the stuff LiveOSC can send, check the text file in that folder, or look in LiveOSCCallbacks.py.

Enjoy, hope this is useful to some. I may update this with screenshots when I'm more sober.

• I was being very optimistic in my last post, but the instructions are a bit rubbish and will only get you things like tempo, no track names and clever stuff, and also the touchosc controls don't work.

Today however, I've been learning PureData, and I have managed to map both a layout and the phone's accelerometer to midi control in ableton (compass didn't seem to work though), and at the same time send clip names to the touchOSC using liveOSC remote script sends and returns. The aim I have is to use ableton for DJ / live performance without looking at the monitor. Ability to scroll through clip names on tracks and start them. A whole bunch of other stuff in the interface but the main thing is a clip browser using the labels in touchosc. I have the essentials I need now, and I think puredata will allow me to add some logic around it, create a scrolling browser etc.

• Ok so its becoming apparant that people would like a proper touchosc midi remote script and not just a midi/osc bridge. I have a huge amount of this code ready from LiveControl but it needs porting into a new script. What features are people particularly interested in? Just a clip launcher? There was another post asking for a clip launcher where they provided a nice TouchOSC custom layout, ill dig that up.

http://post.monome.org/?PostBackAction=Download&AttachmentID=2701

something like that work?

• I have what I need already, I'd rather have inclusive live scripts but pd is easier to learn than python so I'm gonna use that. I plan to write a guide to getting all these products singing from the same clip list, with basic pd examples that will allow new users to get up and developing on this platform. But first, I'm greedy for my own time so the iPhone remote DJ config is my first goal.

I'd be happy to try anything you publish.

• For a clip launcher, I think scrolling is a must, I'm gona use pd to do the math of this and request format then publish the osc info to the touch. Works in my mind, sure it will work in practise

• One of the coolest developments for Lemur & Ableton Live users has been the creation of a dynamic clip launcher which also enables you to see clip info (name, colour, state) directly on the lemur. There's a horizontal & vertical scroll feature so you can see an unlimited amount of tracks and scenes. Obviously I had to modify mine into an 8x8 clip display ;-)

The interface was programmed with the Lemur's Jazz Editor application and based on ST8's LiveOSC python code. About a month ago it was optimized for Live 8.1. Most of the work was done with the Lemur's scripting language. However I wouldn't be surprised if there were some slight modifications made to the python code (I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know). Perhaps it would be useful to check out the work done for the lemur?

I figure this functionality would be a great way to extend TouchOSC onto the iPad. Anyway, here are some links:

Live 8 clip launcher:
    http://jazzmutant.com/lemuruser_moduledetails.php?id=151

Live 8.1 clip launcher (optimized performance):
    http://jazzmutant.com/lemuruser_moduledetails.php?id=163

Jazzmutant forum thread:
    http://forum.jazzmutant.com/viewtopic.php?t=2277

• Thanks Tchan, from first looks there appear to be no added Live 8 OSC calbacks in the script. Damn thought I, but then thought that if the author of this script cvan extract all this functionality from the liveOSC scripts, then so can I with PureData :)

• right on operand! i think its inevitable that this type of clip launcher will be available on TouchOSC....whether its built with pd, max, m4l, etc remains to be seen. best of luck with the project - i'll definitely be following your progress

• I got it working for browsing two tracks, showing the clip names in tochosc. Mapped the crossfader and track volumes, still much to do (monitor switches, eq, effects). Couple of hodges in there (like the first track of both tracks needs to be a blank clip, issue with sending the currently selected scene into the live clip play osc. Work in progress

• Here's a screenshot of my work so far, showing the clip information in the "browser" up top of the mixer. I've decided to run with two tracks with the same clips in each, so I can drag the tracks I want for a set and play any of them, or play two of the same. Buttons next to the browser scroll up and down the list, click play in either track and it cues the track up in that track.

Still a lot to do, but eventually I'll post the PD, live and touchosc files needed to get this working.

Was able to mix tracks while cooking dinner in the other room :) I need some wireless headphones now for monitoring.

320 x 480 - 41K
  • I've been looking into this as well, here is a demo of a mixing patch for ableton live,
    http://vimeo.com/8259860

I'm thinking of implementing some kind of "pages" functionality as well, and use the touchscreen as a patch selector for monome. A combined monome+touchscreen controller would also be really great, a little bit tricky to attach the display though. Maybe use something like this :)
    http://www.bricksinmypocket.org/2009/09/lego-iphoneipod-touch-rotating-dock.html

• I guess.that the audio send is a m4l trick?

• yep, had to optimize it to be smooth on the display though

• Well I won't be getting m4l any time soon. To pay for suite then find it doesn't come with industry standard protocols is bad enough without realising I'm to be charged again to get it. Guess I need to learn python and freeware my way past their limitations. I also learn now I have a touch monitor, that the only app that for some bizarre reason doesn't work well with it is... You guessed it

• I noticed fantastick was released world wide now, it supports opengl as well and it's programmable via udp,
    http://www.pinktwins.com/fantastick/

• Ah damn you bilinsky here I am trying to concentrate on one thing and you show me more toys! :)

• hehe, there is always something new to test, a bit of a problem actually if you want to focus on making music ;)

• Here's the finished (sort of) product. At least it should help others work out how to get this functionality working by picking it apart. With this setup I can DJ from the dancefloor.

You need PureData, TouchOSC, Ableton, and the LiveOSC scripts. Instructions are in there, with links.

• I've started http://operand-error.blogspot.com for the remote DJ work, check there for updates

• Tchan did you write a puredata patch to scroll text? I need one and will be looking into it but if you already did it, I'm lazy :)

• Have no cash to buy a house? Worry not, just because it's achievable to get the loans to solve all the problems. Hence get a secured loan to buy everything you require.

• The loan suppose to be very useful for guys, which want to ground their organization. In fact, that's very easy to receive a bank loan.