So, I am confused...

• Basically, I was reading about the kits on the website.

And I saw all the downloadable stuff.

So pretty much the deal is, if you wanted to, you could download the schematic, etc. for the logic board and keypad, have those printed and made for you, buy all the parts, put it together, program it and you'd pretty much have a working monome?

I realize I put that in really basic and simple steps, it would be much more complicated than that, but you could if you wanted to?

If so, I have a feeling it'd be much cheaper (albeit more complicated) than buying one from the website, and much more open for modification, correct?

If the answer is yes to both of those questions, I will have more questions later...

• no and no actually.

we design and manufacture our own keypads. there'd be no point to producing a grid pcb because you wouldn't have matching keypads.

the logic board, however, will allow you to hook up your own buttons and leds. there'd be a lot of design on your part. depending on your button/led choice, this could be very expensive. nice lit switches are not cheap.

also we highly encourage the use of local manufacturers (read that as, highly discourage the use of chinese pcb companies). to get a board made responsibly at low volume you'll pay about $30/board.

the main reason we posted the schematics and boards is for learning, full disclosure, extension/modification, repair, and breadboarding/etching (true home-made cheap solutions.) not only will you not save money, but you defeat much of our invested effort.

basically what it comes down to is that if you're already familiar with electronics and pcb design, you'll know what to do with the files if you have a project you'd like to extend. if you've never worked with this sort of thing and are unfamiliar with the manufacturing process, i highly suggest not looking at it as the "cheap option."

• Alright, thanks. I just thought it would be a nice undertaking, something to just mess with over time.

• > if you've never worked with this sort of thing and are unfamiliar with the
    > manufacturing process, i highly suggest not looking at it as the "cheap option."

this is most certainly correct.

i'm not sure how many threads on here you've read, and i'm trying not to sound like i'm on a soapbox or anything, but i've just recently built a 40h from a kit and to make it look nice and feel proper, which i feel that i only almost accomplished, i wound up spending well over $500 (which was the initial cost of the 40h. the 64's are only $450). i'm not sure if i spent over $600, but it's quite possible.

that said, the project is certainly a nice undertaking and quite fun. it's one of the first electronics projects that i've undertaken, and i've learned a lot from building it. just don't get into it because you think it will be the cheaper option.