2 dead buttons but they work in midimode and the led´s are fine

• Hi there,

the topic says it all pretty much. on my 40h i´m having two dead buttons, besides that nothing happens when i push them, for example in polygome, they work if i midimap them and the functiontest for the LED shows no errors, all lit up.

i opened the 40h onces but there´s nothing looking wrong.

Since i know next to nothing about electronics i wonder if anyone could give me a hint how to solve this problem.

thanks,
    hr

• that doesn't make sense. could you test in monome_test (from monome base?)

test the LED and keypad separately.

• hi tehn, will give it a try at the evening and report back.

thanks,
    hr

• hi tehn,

i tested with monome_test, as requested.

all leds are fine, the keypadtest failed on the two defected pads- the 3rd in the second row, 2nd in the 4th row.

thanks, hr

• is this a kit?

• yes, it´s a 40h kit.

• i should add that it worked fine for quite a while and it wasn´t build by myself :)

• it's more than likely a poorly soldered diode, sorry to say.

• i disassembled the monome today, i´m no expert but i couldn´t see any difference to older solderpoints ...

i´ll get it to a local electronicshop, hopefully they can help me though i fear they never heared of a monome until then.

thanks for your help, tehn.

cheers

• basically the solders need to be heated up on the bad diodes-- just remelted. where are you located? there might be a friendly monome user nearby.

• I had the same problem with my kit. At first there were a couple problem buttons where they didn't always trigger but would if I pressed exceptionally hard and then they stopped working altogether. I re-melted the diodes and sure enough they were back to working again.

It's really quite easy if you know somebody with a soldering iron. You just need to tin the tip with a little fresh solder and then very lightly and quickly touch it to the solder points on the effected diode. Takes literally a couple seconds to do. Best of luck.