need advice/instruction: sixtyfour+ ableton live 8: want a step-sequencer

• i recently purchased a sixtyfour this january.

i would like to learn how to use the monome as a step-sequencer in ableton live 8.

i have ableton live 8, an APC 40, a Xio Synth 25, a yamaha 88 controller, a macbook and a sixtyfour monome.

i went on the monome apps page and downloaded everything (besides the max/msp ones).

i need to know how to configure my preferences in ableton and in the monome serial. (inputs and output stuff....)

can the monome speak to ableton both as midi and as osc?

after i have configured everything correctly, i need to know what program in ableton i can use as a step sequencer. Do i have to get Max4Live to step sequence? its another $300. i intend to buy it in the future.

is there software besides ableton that would have a good stepsequencer and many instrument/sound choices?

i cant say im very knowledge about about programming. any clear step by step advice would be extremely appreciated.

• Soyuz is a simple step sequencer

download the max/msp runtime.
    download the soyuz app

you will need some type of midi routing program, i use midi yoke, i cant recall the midi routing program for macs. check the forums

In ableton you will need to set one midi port as input and one output to sync the tempo with soyuz.

set monoserial to /soyouz

set midi output in soyouz to what the midi in Ableton is. Load a midi track in ableton and push some buttons and you should be rocking.

check the soyuz thread for more info. I would try most the max/msp apps, they seem to work best with ableton for me at least.

• +1 for soyuz. its awesome.

You'll need the free max runtime - dosent require M4L. All the Max apps (except the ones listed under M4L) you can use without M4L and do try them.

On mac, just go to your midi prefs to set up new IAC busses for multiple channels but at least one for the app.

Have fun!

• is the max runtime only for 30 days? do i just keep setting up new accounts if i want it forever?

maybe i should just buy max....

what midi routing program should i use for my mac?

or do i "just go to your midi prefs to set up new IAC busses for multiple channels but at least one for the app."???

is soyaz a step sequencer?? does it work as a midi instrument (like a midi synth) or like a sampler???

could i play notes as well as manipulate phrase entrances of clips?

also, can i communicate with ableton audio effects through the monome? (reverb, beat repeat, filters, etc)?

once i download the max runtime is it difficult to open the step-sequencer? (i.e. i don't have to write a patch or anything, do i?

• what's the link for soyaz download?

• can i use seven up live if i only have the runtime?
    Requirements
    In order to use SevenUp Live you'll need:

One or more monomes (any models will do)
    Ableton Live 8.1.1 or greater with MaxForLive installed
    Max 5.1 installed
    MonomeSerial in order for your monome to comunicate with SevenUp
    Java Runtime Environment 1.5 or greater (most people will have this installed already)

• i don't think i need midi yoke (mac), i think i have to add more iac bus ports on my audio midi preferences....

after that i don't know what to do...

i feel like im getting closer.

• GOT it to work. thanks you thank you thank you.

now, i have to learn how to play the monome.

and figure out how to use soyaz.

im connected at least.

i can play midi notes on my monome.

i haven't yet figured out the step-sequencer....

• or how to communicate with the tilt sensor?

also, i have a wii remote... any advice on how to connect it with ableton....

• Pages also has two great step sequencers and a bunch of other useful things for anyone that uses Live w/ their monome.
    i highly recommend it.

• personally i love sevenuplive's implementation of its step sequencer.

• as of now, my monome communicates (midi) with ableton.

however, i need to know how to have soyaz communicate with ableton.

in soyaz: what should i set:

midi sync type (external or internal)

clock source (IAC Driver IAC Bus 2, to MaxMSP runtime 1, to MaxMSP runtime 2)

midi out (AU DSL Synth 1, AC Driver IAC Bus 2, to MaxMSP runtime 1, to MaxMSP runtime 2)

do i need to edit my ableton preferences at all?

or my monomeserial?

• can i use seven up live if i only have the runtime of max?

• you don't even need max, but you need java runtime.

http://www.makingthenoise.com/sevenup/sevenup1.htm

• your midi sync type should be external
    but your other settings....

clock source - IAC Driver IAC Bus 2, to MaxMSP runtime 1, 2

midi out - AC Driver IAC Bus 2, to MaxMSP runtime 1, 2

...will all depend on how you have live configured.

you need live to send out sync on one port and receive midi data on another. which one you choose doesn't really matter as long as you set them up right.

• also, flickering lights is a nice step sequencer...
    http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:flickering_lights

• Molar has a very flexible step sequencer, though with a bit of a learning curve. But it runs as a VST so you can just drop it on a track in live... :)

• "is the max runtime only for 30 days? do i just keep setting up new accounts if i want it forever?"

No - the runtime is free. Max itself has a 30 day trial though. M4L is another thing altogether and you do have to buy that to use M4L patches - there is no runtime.

7up v2 requires M4L but v1 does not.

"is soyaz a step sequencer?? does it work as a midi instrument (like a midi synth) or like a sampler???"

Yes. It sends midi.

"also, can i communicate with ableton audio effects through the monome? (reverb, beat repeat, filters, etc)?"

You can do just about anything with the right patch.

"once i download the max runtime is it difficult to open the step-sequencer? (i.e. i don't have to write a patch or anything, do i?"

No and no!

----

DO search the forums as a resource. Dont hesitate to ask any questions, but there is a huge amount of information at your disposal here.

Enjoy!