How Did You First Hear About Monome?

• Considering there is no marketing or promotion for the device, I was curious to know how people first stumbled across it. For me, being completely outside of electronic music circles, I first heard about it in December 2008 when I read the Flying Lotus profile in the New Yorker. There was a great picture of FL's workspace and his 64 was clearly visible. I was intrigued and from there it took me a year to research it, lurk on the forums and eventually land a gs64 this past January.

Your experience?

• I stumbled across casperghost's (I've no idea what his nickname on this forum is) "Reconstructing The Eraser with a monome" on YouTube one year ago and it was love at first sight (with the monome ;-) ). As I was way to slow for the gs64 I now started building my Arduinome 64, hoping to get a 128 or 256 somewhen in the future... Interesting thread!

• i saw daedelus at a show rocking the original prototype a few years back and knew i must have one someday. this was before you could buy them i think. i didn't know it was a 'monome' and i'm not sure if the name had been coined yet. i eventually caught wind of monome.org somehow, probably from some random web forum or other, and bought a 40h.

• One of my buddies sent me the link to bitwise anachronist vid. So at the time you couldnt buy them and I was strapped for cash anyway so I bought a kit a built a 40h. Im hopeing that the 128 gs will be followed up by a 256gs cause i realy want one!!

• I'm pretty sure it was seeing a jmelnyk vid - I thought it was cool but not enough to dive into it since I was going through a "hardware not software" phase...I picked up a gs64 and bought MaxMSP and haven't looked back - so many possibilities. Looking to pick up a gs128 when they are available.

• sts9 and the original 80h

* or i think the original

• daedelus.

• I saw it here: http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=monome&t=11105

• here's my story: http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=3326&Focus=37580#Comment_37580

• Ahhh. So this question has been asked before...

*wiping egg off face*

Still a good question, though.

• I was watching Nine Inch Nails (RIP) youtube channel and saw in one of the videos them playing around with a 256 hooked up to a piano. Naturally I saw the incredibleness that is the monome and searched the internet high and low for it.

• when cycling 74 did a perspectives about brian and kelli. it made me so happy seeing such an inspiring duo make something so selfless, minimal, and infinite. cudos!

• i supported daedalus in england about a year ago and this was the first time i saw the monome. Following this show i became really quite obsessed. I got a 128 about a month later and i love it. Its great that i now look like i am actually playing an instrument in my band. The other guys play guitar and before, i just looked like a geek messing with a laptop. I have got gigs with other musicians because of my setup being so flexible.

• I was trying to learn some electrical stuff to play a serious prank on some co workers, and ventured into led coffee tables and eventually to the monome. Having a musical background, it was something that I really got into. I fortunately timed it right with the gs64.

Btw, I never did get the prank working. It involved a timer,a motion sensor, a tvbgone, and a really creepy old building.

• I was finishing a jazz studies degree, stumbling about online in a coffee shop one day, had just picked up daedelus "in snowdonia" which led me to monome. I remember seeing tehn's first demo and being really excited, bought the 40h... I can honestly say it completely changed my life.

@ revenant how is that tvbgone? thinking about it....

• i took the red pill.

• wow as if!!

roy_de_loy... The EXACT same thing happened to me... same video, same reaction. Wow kinda cool.

• i remember -- about 6 years ago -- wondering what brian was doing in the garage with a bunch of plywood sticks and a soldering iron.

my first time playing a monome was at the 40h release party at asphodel in 2006.

pretty soon after that was the maker faire. i think i bought the second 40h.

needless to say, what's really amazing is the awesome people i've met and the cool/strange/interesting things that i've learned through these forums.

• true on the second 40h. vlad got the first the night before at asphodel. sticks in the garage was 2002, so 8 years. those sticks became alfred's black 256 pre-monome proto.

• In early 2006, it kinda went like this:

in an episode of the Boondocks called "Let's Nab Oprah"
    they used the song "raid" by madvillain
    looked it up and picked up the madvillainy album
    heard "accordian" on madvillainy and saw that it used a daedelus sample
    looked up daedelus on youtube and saw the monome madness

the rest is history.

• that episode is so good.

• @Kite That was also my first exposure... Alessandro Cortini triggering a piano using flin. It's slightly inaccurate to say RIP though, as they're just no longer a touring band. I'm sure we can expect plenty of interesting studio work in the future.

• I was looking on the net for a machine to play live drum beats with out a drum kit because i didn't want to cart it around all the time. Then eventually found the monome and was impressed by the style and the fact that I could build one myself. So i did.

• Believe it or not...Kanye West's blog.

http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/?em3106=192362_-1__0_~0_-1_1_2008_0_0

• I believe that I was introduced through pretty lights. Heard his first album... and started trolling the webs to find out more about the guy... that led me to tehn and stretta's video demo's....

It was around the same time that I got into music production and electronics HARD

I can honestly say that the entire path of my life changed around that time, now developing interactive audio visual installations and very interested in human interaction... before I want to be a cinematographer.

• think i picked up a copy of future music and on the disc with it was a video of daedalus showing it off!!! i thought to myself, what in the good lords name is that and where might i be able to acquire one. at first i thought it was a custom job he did himself. eventually i found this place.

• it was a few weeks before they started the initial 40h orders. I was obsessed with getting a lemur for a while. then I met someone on the Reaktor forums (evan morris) who made his own led & button controller, and was seriously contemplating making one myself. then someone else on the Reaktor board posted a link to the upcoming monome, and I figured that would be the best route for me towards controller nirvana (being only $500 and no soldering).

best gear decision I've ever made!

• word of mouth. it came up in a conversation about alternative MIDI controllers.

ya know, like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIVtXE8jSy8

...i went with monome because i'm attracted to flashing lights and it's more compact than the tonleiter.

• Marc Houle... 3 years ago in his live act a D

• Bump for new users.

(I'm just curious is all).

• think this nin - ghosts remix was the first monome video I saw, maybe on cdm or another electronic music site over 2 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7zXk-mj3I&playnext=1&list=PL1B87CA4F67633C0D&index=1

was trying to find ways to rearrange loops in ableton and logic at the time.

seemed an obvious choice.

built an arduinome. going to get a monome later in the year most likely.

• I'd come across it some years ago; I forget where. At the time it wasn't something that really grabbed my interest, since it was just a brief article with a few static pictures.

A few months ago I discovered Synthtopia and Create Digital Music. Was originally looking at purchasing another adaptable instrument, the iPad, and wanted to know what it could do. Started reading regularly, digging into the archives . . . and then I found the monome videos. Probably the first ones I saw were @stretta's demos and live performances ("feignroom" and "where abundance lies" in particular gave me the good shivers). Those combined with my more recent discoveries of @edison and @galapagoose just blew my mind. I thought, "Man, this is the ultimate tool right here." You can create loops and jam on them (button-mashing style), or you can carefully layer your stuff Imogen Heap-style, or you can even play the thing note-for-note like a piano. I was hooked.

I've always wanted to do loop-based composition and arranging. It's the most fascinating thing, ever, to me. I was hooked way back in college, when I first saw the method demonstrated on the concert DVD included in Howie Day's "Madrigals EP." Discovering the monome rekindled my sense of joy, wonder, and excitement for doing that sort of thing, but without needing long effects chains of pedals and acoustic instruments. The monome can do all that and more, with just one simple box.

• simple answer?

toshio iwai

• Nine Inch Nails!

• Re-bump for the new crop of owners. Wassup y'all?

• literally week and a half a go i saw a flyer and promo for a galapagoose gig in Melbourne with a link to the monome page, looked into it, watched a few videos and realized i could not live without one as it can do everything i wanted in a unit and itd be the perfect companion to my Maschine,
    week and a half later and my saving all gone, i bought a 128 :)
    it was weird, there were 5 or 6 coincidences leading up to it that all seemed to point in the direction of buying one, so i did

• I have no idea how it started.

I remember beeing skeptical about the device, and spent a lot of time searching about it, 'cause I didnt knew what it was about. I did wait two years to get this pearl and finally got the money for it.

But my first contact with monome was, definitly, on youtube.

• for me it was when i first saw pretty lights a few years ago. i was blown away by the monome, i remember thinking how does he keep track of what all the buttons do, theres just so many.
    so i started researching pretty lights, and on his myspace he said that he used mlr/Molar in his performance, so i jumped to the conclusion that mlr/Molar was what that box with all the blinky lights and buttons was. and from researching mlr/Molar i found this site and some youtube videos, then i finally found out that mlr/Molar is actually two separate programs and the box with all the blinky lights is called a monome, it doesnt do anything, it uses some weird communication protocal, and its hand made by some really interesting people in the Catskills.

• @antiphon: I remember exactly how I stumbled across the monome.

It was this article from CDM:
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/07/take-it-to-the-stage-reflections-on-live-laptop-music-from-artists/

What's funny is that the first time I read this article, I completely skipped over the first picture of Daedelus with his 256. Maybe because it's at an angle and the lights aren't all that visible.

No, the picture that caught my eye and had me saying "what the f** is THAT?" is the fifth picture down, of Richard Devine's setup:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/2009/07/devinesetup.jpg

I remember reacting to that picture of the brightly-lit 256 on a purely emotional level. I had no idea what it did, or how it worked, but I had to have one, and I knew I would have to use it in the dark. Often.

PS: The Lemur right next to it didn't catch my eye at all. Curious.

• @nari: good to see you back on the forums!

I also remember watching performances on YouTube and thinking, "Without labels or color coding, how do people remember which buttons do what?" Of course, pianists also have no lights or labels and they do fine, so do guitarists, violinists, etc. I am now in the position of showing off my monome skills--such as they are--to my brother who just shakes his head and says, "I don't get it; how do you keep track?" Ha!

• 2009 sendai - japan
    i have an intime relation with japan, not only music - i get there to collaborate with a marvellous collectif visual - wow lab - http://www.wowlab.net/index.php?ref=top-works-jp - tomohiro nagasaki programmed the monome to send the visuals creation of the director mamoru kano during our live...one

• yeah

someone commented on toshio iwai's blog
    comparing the tenorion to the 40h

i then went to google
    and eventually monome.org

its funny because even tho i had heard daedelus' music
    i hadnt seen him live and therefore had no clue what he used to make tunes

i actually have a dvd where he played the same show as some other musicians i like and in the background of one shot daedelus is setting up the monome

never noticed at the time

• sweet

a few years ago a friend sent me a trailer to the low end theory documentary that i dont think was ever finished. at the time i was very heavy into turntablism. still am though. and i thought theres nothing more underground than that until i saw this trailer. i was like....wtf

saw daedelus in there and that same week got lucky to get a 64 when it was released. actually i was signed into my brothers google account and had to log out and log in to my own account...as soon as i did that the batch of 100 was gone in 2 minutes...there was a long yell...and then i realized i could my history and got lucky to sneak in an order lol...an extra 100 was produced for that round =P

@GLIA which dvd is that? i wouldnt mind checking it out, would you be able to upload it? ive been looking for the daedelus at low end theory dvd but apparently that was a limited run

• A long time ago I used to play shows at a loft in Venice Beach off of Main st. lots of people would flow through those doors (we also used to play soccer in front of the natural history museum, that shit was fun). Daedalus, Basek, Dr. Rek, Baboon Torture Division, lots of USC and CalArts kids. I think the first time I really paid attention was when Dr. Rek took me to a house in Pasadena and this girl named Pockets gave everybody mushrooms. Alfred was there trippin' too if I recall correctly, maybe, maybe not, but what really mattered was that I remember the monome being there. It looked different, maybe it was the 'shrooms, but damn, I was impressed. In fact, it was the sole force that made me learn max/msp.

here's a video of many good friends being what they are:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Pbyg_kcEk

good times.

• @flying: you were there at those parties? i played a few, they were some of my earliest performances.

• brian were you tripping on shrooms too? lol maybe i should do the same and get a little more creative processing

• I found it through car electronics :O!

I gave up on making terrible Drum and bass tunes to work on some car stuff.

Looking into modding my car at the with some LEDs on the console brang me to find arduino then the monome. Obsessed ever since and back onto a better musical path.

• steve duda & joel zimmerman circa 2009.

stretta & tehn kept me hooked.

• I think I first found out about the monome through looking up videos of trash80 playing live. I wanted to see how he made his tunes since I had absolutely no knowledge of the electronic music field, saw the monome, was intrigued, researched it, got hooked.