monome on irc (finally back up!)

• started up a chat to facilitate the monome rpm album project, but figured i'd open it up to everyone :)

media.pulsetrain.net:6667
    #monome

come and say hi!

- dc

• bumpity bump for the peepity people

• http://colloquy.info

for os x users

• no nickserv? =(

• if it ends up being popular, we could establish a more permanent channel on freenode or something.

• the server is on a dedicated box, so if we want to continue using it, no probs.

#monome is currently the only active chan, so no, there's no nickserv/chanfix/etc.. i can add those features if you REALLY want, tho :)

- dc

• had a few minutes during lunch, so i went ahead and added channel/nick services.

enjoy :)

- dc

• wheeee. thanks!

i'll be on again when i get home.

• are people still using irc? last time i was on that was probably 10 years ago!

• for group chatting, it's still the best, imo.

join us! :)

- dc

• bump for the new kids =)

• no one is on now :(

• seems like the server is down or something.

• sorry guys.. i just relocated to chicago for a new gig, and my servers are still in transit.

everything will be back up soon :)

- dc

• Sadly, the server still seems to be down. Does anyone know the process of establishing a channel on freenode?

It would be lovely to have a small community of monomers to chat with :-)

• http://freenode.net/group_registration.shtml

i would be very interested in a freenode channel.

• Yeah, I found that page a few days ago; it reads like some super-formal legal contract! Somewhere on that page it links to the form:

http://freenode.net/group_contact_form.shtml

The form seems to either require the filler-outer to be previously approved, or for it to reference an approver, and is the first stumbling block. I also wouldn't know what to put in the contact details - I'm guessing it wouldn't be appropriate for me to reference a Philadelphia address in there ;-)

If anyone has any experience with this process, then they would be welcomed with open arms. Of course if you don't have any experience, you'd still be welcomed with open arms :-)

• what's the advantage of registering a channel?

• To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what the advantage would be...

Regardless of this, it seems that #monome is already registered on freenode:

23:29 -ChanServ(ChanServ@services.)- #monome is already registered to dinchak.
    23:30 naeu> info #monome
    23:30 -ChanServ(ChanServ@services.)- Information on #monome:
    23:30 -ChanServ(ChanServ@services.)- Founder : dinchak
    23:30 -ChanServ(ChanServ@services.)- Registered : Aug 15 18:27:37 2006 (1 year, 42 weeks, 0 days, 03:03:06 ago)
    23:30 -ChanServ(ChanServ@services.)- Last used : Oct 24 16:56:18 2006 (1 year, 32 weeks, 0 days, 04:34:25 ago)
    23:30 -ChanServ(ChanServ@services.)- Mode lock : +ntc-s
    23:30 -ChanServ(ChanServ@services.)- *** End of Info ***

However, it appears really empty. So we could just hang about in it for a bit and see what happens :-)

I'm naeu, see you in #monome on freenode...

• i think the advantage of registering is just related to moderation.. auto Op statuses and whatnot?

maybe you ahve to run a bot to do that.

empty indeed.... save for naeu and me

• Just a quick update. People seem to be favouring EFNet (I think possibly due to the fact it has a web client). I don't have any emotional attaches to freenode, if any of you do, then now is the time to speak up :-)

So see you all in #monome on EFNet.

(If you're wanting connection details, I connect to irc.efnet.org on port 6667.)

I'm naeu, see you there...

• would use the irc channel if it gets going, i did look at it recently but didnt seem to be happening : )

• more people need to be hanging out here...

• i'm making it a habit to idle in there

visinin came by the other day.

tehn too.

• I just got booted from EFNet for not having an ident or some such nonsense. I tried installing a spoofing server locally (as advised by the helpfiles for my client - colloquy). However I couldn't get it to work.

As #monome was the only room I frequented on EFNet, I don't think it's worth spending more time trying to get it to work, sorry.

I've just re-addded #monome on freenode to my autojoin, so I'm guess I'm splitting the party. Sorry :-(

If anyone has any advice on fixing this, I'd be very happy to listen...

• 1up for freenode here

• so, what does one need to do to get to the chat?

• you need an irc client. for windows, this is something like mIRC, though there are others.

for mac, unfortunately the best option i know of is Colloquy, which is mediocre at best.

if you're unix savvy, something like BitchX is a good option.

once you've got an irc client up, you'll want to connect to efnet and/or freenode, and then type "/join #monome"

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_Relay_Chat_clients

• we're officially back up..

same info as before:

media.pulsetrain.net:6667, #monome

yay!

- dc