Some thoughts or something on m4l-apps

• Hi!

I've been away from the forums for a while so I have a lot of catch up to do. Maybe this has already been discussed.

This autofocus-thingy going on on some m4l-apps is really great as it allows me to switch between apps in a convenient way. I therefore feel that a single app doesn't have to do a trillion things.

Stretta's m4l-apps got my thinking about this. Keeping different features as separate apps makes things more adaptive to one's needs. It would be nice with a separate app for device control, one app for faders, one app for clip launching and so forth.

An example: I've been using LiveControl quite a lot (big ups for it!). But now that it doesn't work well with m4l-apps I wish it would be ported and splitted to different m4l-apps. And what about Monolive which seems to be a real powerhouse?

What do you guys think?

• I think that's the natural evolution, moving from self-contained apps to modular building blocks.

I don't think we're there yet on the routing options, though.

Part of what I mean by that is "Max4Live needs to play nice with these outside apps, and not the other way around."

App developers (who are providing substantial tools for free) can not be expected to buy Ableton and Max4Live just because you and I have. It's not their responsibility to support someone else's commercial environment.

Likewise, many apps won't port over to Max4Live so quickly, because they weren't developed in Max/MSP. Nor is there any reason why they should have been.

Additionally, it's going to be very important that we develop a baseline device chain for support purposes. ie, "if you made XYZ work, my device fits here in the chain. And if it works there, that's as far as I'm obligated to troubleshoot for you."

The specifics of that chain are up for debate, but I'd say it's got to be cross platform, sit outside of any other software, and begin after the OSC/hardware bridge (meaning, also after any monome emulation software you might be running). And it shouldn't create any additional dependencies. Meaning, it's a testing/configuration platform that you can optionally remove or disable.

Maybe I'm dreaming. But I don't see things becoming truly modular without that.

• I think a lot of what we're describing is actually going on in this thread:
    http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=6443

...but it's been going on in that thread since November, so some patience required.