using delays in Live ? getting crackles in external sync mode ? check this ...

• this is a bit like the 'High-Quality' setting in the EQ's, it's a major feature but hidden away in a sub menu one rarely uses:

whenever we switch on sync we have tiny random crackles in the audio stream of both workstations, we couldn't figure this out since our CPU is only 20% loaded and we have fairly recent and powerfull machines ...

Ableton support provided a solution ...

it could be possible that these crackles are caused by beat-synced delay effects. A beat-synced delay will always crackle when you change the tempo, except if it supports an interpolation mode.

Most Live-internal delay effects support this. You can right-click on the title bar of a delay effect and choose between "Repitch", "Fade" and "Jump" mode. Repitch and Fade will interpolate on tempo changes, whereas Jump will not interpolate and thus crackles. "Fade" would be the best solution in your case. Please check if all delay devices in your set are set to this interpolation mode.

There is probably no solution for 3rd party VST / AU delay plugins, except if the plugin supports similar interpolation modes.

we do indeed have several Live delays on our tracks and all of them were set by default to Jump, so since the tempo changes slightly continuously in external sync mode the delay tempo was adjusting/jumping all the time causing the crackles almost all the time ... changing the settings got definitely rid of the crackles :)

i have had this problem so many times and never could figure out where those random crackles came from, sometimes they were there, sometimes not .. i stopped looking for an answer a while ago ... now i finally know ...

• The more you know... I was having a simular issue. thanks for posting

• what is your set up like? what kind of audio interface?

• Mac Pro 8core Xeon with Apogee Rosetta 200 ... but it does the same thing on the MOTUs, ESI Quatafire and onboard audio on a Macbook Pro core i7 or a Core 2 Duo .. that's why i couldn't explain it and wrote to Ableton ...

sounds better on the Rosetta overall thou :)

• yes a useful hidden thing to know about delay in live