Laptop Resolution

• My faceplates arrived on Tuesday (more on this later), and I'm working on an enclosure.

My laptop was an hand me down from by brother, given to him as broken which I fixed. Sadly it finally died it's final death some time ago so I'm in the market for a new one.

Having a look around I note that while I can get a (IMHO) decent spec CPU/Memory/Hard drive for less than £600 (Intel I3-350M, 4GB DDR3, 500GB 7200RPM and 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470) however the screen resolution 1366x768 concerns me. I plan on running Ubuntu on this laptop and using it with my Adruinome 128 and Korg digital piano, so I'll be able to use multiple workspaces which can switch quickly.

My question is should I be concerned with a screen resolution such as this? Would I be better saving up and getting higher resolution screen?
    Are there any other issues I should be thinking about?

I'd appreciate any (constructive) input you may have on this.

Thanks

• I'm running Gentoo Linux on a Lenovo x100e that has an 11.6" display at that same resolution. I'm absolutely fine with it! But then again...personal preference has a lot to do with this choice! I'm willing to put up with a lot more than your average consumer (I think).

• thanks _murray, I'll spend some more time looking over specs. Not too much, it's enough to drive you crazy.

• running ubuntu on a netbook and using a virtual screensize. search for xrandr utility.

in your evaluation, try booting into a "live cd" image of the os (which could be
    on a usb flash, for example).

• For the record, most monome applications don't seem to like vertical resolutions

• @nightmorph I ended up getting laptop with a 1600x900 resolution screen.

• @nightmorph

view - > navigate zoom.

• Most programs won't open a window larger than your monitor; they'll crop it to your screen and add scrollbars. It's a strange quirk that max/msp doesn't behave that way. And since you can't reach the bottom of the window, you can't manually scale the window to fit on your screen.

The solution I've found is completely counter-intuitive, but... Maximize the window. When you tell it to be full-screen, it checks with your OS to find out what dimensions that is, and voila! Scrollbars.

I repeat: the way to get scrollbars on an overly large window is to make that window even bigger.

It's a crazy world out there.

(this is especially necessary if you've got the full version of max, as the buttons to exit Presentation Mode or unlock a patch are stuck beneath the bottom of your screen on those patches, just above the handle to manually scale the window down so you can get to them. zooming the patch doesn't resize the window, though you do have additional controls and keyboard shortcuts to deal with these unreachable buttons.)