Community help with making the Arduinome Instructions better

• I've been working on finishing up the Chronome instructions, and thought it would be a good time to see if the Arduinome instructions could be cleaned up at all.

What could be clearer?
    What links are broken?
    What about a community FAQ?
    Better pictures?
    Build pictures from ppl?
    SerialOSC and serial number flashing for the atmega8 arduinos?

Let us know what you think. You can post here, or hit us up at contact@flipmu.com

• as someone currently building a 128, i think it'd be great to have clearer/more comprehensive/etc. instructions.

what i'm quickly learning, though, is that part of the beauty (and pain in the ass) is that every arduinome build is a little different.

i am planning on documenting my build once i get everything working (some day) but that'd only cover one version of arduinome (that varies from that listed on flipmu more and more the more i learn about it!).

i think every ? line you listed would be great. i'm having issues with the last one right now, actually.

• I totally agree about the different build approaches being one of the great things about the arduinome projects. I was hoping more to just tighten up the Flipmu instructions, rather then combine different builds into one "master build' log.

I know that the monome wiki has links to the various build logs, would t be helpful to add those to the flipmu site as well?

Also, one of the big concerns for us is that the new Arduino UNOs and the new serialOSC router all work with the Arduinome protocol.

Generally, just hoping to help make things easier for first time builds etc.

• I mentioned in another post about the need for a wiring diagram. I’m coming into this completely blind. I have very limited experience with programming and no experience with electronics or the arduino. Money is low, but seeing everything that these machines can do makes all of the sacrifices worth the investment. The ideal thing for beginners like myself would be a wiring diagram, showing how to soderlessly breadboard an arduinome or chronome, that is as detailed as possible. That way, we can approach our education about building an arduinome in steps that are similar to learning the arduino and electronics.

• I also think a comprehensive set of instructions for windows would be a great help (especially for the UNO).
    I had a lot of trouble flashing the serials so it would be a great improvement if things were expanded there.
    Also maybe a clearer overview of the different software options and what state they are in - i.e
    arduinome serial
    serialOSC
    serial pyio.

edit:is flashing the serials even necessary for windows? Still not sure

• Flashing the serials is necessary on any platform.

(SerialOSC won't recognize your device if its serial number doesn't follow certain conventions; this enables it to identify grid controllers vs arc, etc. It also allows you to use more than one controller simultaneously.)

But, yeah. This part of the process is notoriously hard to document. What works for one user may not work for the next, because their hardware or OS or arduinome revision doesn't match. I'm not sure what the solution is.

• I'm just embarking on my first Arduinome 64 project, and I'd just like to echo the request for a wiring diagram - that'd be amazingly helpful, and would allow those of us who would prefer to bread/stripboard the shield an easier crack at it!

As a very minor issue, there's a few items in your parts list that show up as obsolete when you click the links (the 74hc164 shift reg for example) - but I appreciate that updating these could become a never-ending task as parts come and go. And once I'd got the hang of how to search for things properly on the components suppliers pages this wasn't really an issue.

Another thing that would be great would be suggestions for where to get hold of faceplates/enclosures.

Thanks for the hard work so far; looking forward to delving into it all some more.

• http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=2698

Not the most useful link in the world (JP seems to have marked his diagram as a private photo now), but I've been searching for it to reference here, and now it's found.

Ignore me.

This isn't applicable either:
    http://www.reenigne.org/blog/physical-tone-matrix/
    But I do sort of wonder if his design couldn't be flashed with Arduinome firmware.

• Hi Owen,
    If you want some help and info please don't hersitate to contact me and I will do my best.

Kind regards,
    Mudo