Molar VSTi (1.0b29 - 21 Nov 2010)

• I just bairly figured out how to use metacycle, I used to avoid it cause it confused me and I assumed it was broken.

I have a request though, it doesn't seem to record looping (when you press 2 buttons to repeat a small portion) it should it seems like to me, as well forwards and backwards. so did I find a bug or make a feature request?

• feature request, a bit difficult to add at this point.

• does that mean no? thats sad.

• it means no. want a tissue?

• lol, I think I'll survive... lots of new goodies to play with!! Can't wait to try it out tonight.

• hehe, I guess I'll live.

is it too late to ask you to simply merge this program with all of the functionality of lucifer? :) go ahead and take care of that for me, I'll check back to the thread in about 20 minutes to see if you've got it done.

just playin :)

• > merge this program with all of the functionality of lucifer? :)

I already did like a year ago... for me that is ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-BmgbXIuB4

• LTG deactivate/resync isn't supposed to be affecting SN1 rows, is it?

> [6] PAD NUMBER (0-6) for LTG Deactivate (press this pad then pad+1)
    > [0] PAD NUMBER (0-6) for LTG Resync (this pad then pad+1)

Is there a way to disable these altogether? Like setting a value higher than 6, or would that cause problems?

I'm also getting a lot of clicks when using mlr style wav reverse.

Meta sequence overdub is just the bomb! Thanks a million!

• > LTG deactivate/resync isn't supposed to be affecting SN1 rows, is it?

correct, just LTG. I could disable the MLR-type looping on SN1 rows if desired which is most likely what you're hearing if you're trying to press 2 pads in a SN1 row...

> Is there a way to disable these altogether? Like setting a value higher than 6

you can / shouldn't cause any problems.

> I'm also getting a lot of clicks when using mlr style wav reverse.

I think its safe to say they've always been there, on all reversing.. the only change is how click-free forwards operation is ;)

• > you can / shouldn't cause any problems.

Great!

> I think its safe to say they've always been there, on all reversing.. the only change is how click-free forwards operation is ;)

Hehe yeah, maybe that's is.

> - (40h) StepSeq Length on the LEN lowest-row function now sets/displays the lengths 1,2,3,4,6,8,12,16 instead of 1-8

Would it require a whole lot of work to make this user definable? I figure people use Molar in so many different ways, so some people might miss the 5, while others won't... me, I'd probably prefer something like a 4,6,8,10,12,16,32,64 setup.

(edit)...or better yet, make that a -1,+1,8,10,12,16,32,64 setup

• > correct, just LTG. I could disable the MLR-type looping on SN1 rows if desired which is most likely what you're hearing if you're trying to press 2 pads in a SN1 row...

No, I mean... on a SN1 row I can't do mlr-type loops on the pads that are set to deactivate and resync LTG rows. So, with default setup on SN1, I can't make mlr loops on 0+1 and 6+7. Sorry for being unclear. Mlr-loops on SN1 is awesome, don't disable it for heavens sake :)

• aha - thanks Steve, that fixed it. I'd tried removing/replacing it, but I did in fact need to scan after removing and then after replacing before it was re-enabled. All fixed now!

• havin a bit of trouble getting the Monome and the lemur workin together ... explained here: http://forum.jazzmutant.com/viewtopic.php?p=6211#6211

• new lemur builds posted, dynamic IP and LED fix.

• got a possible bug here.

when you use the playback mode and you change the length of the pattern to something less than 1 bar it seems that the pattern plays to the end, then hits the very first note again before it plays backwards through the pattern. is that the correct way? cause it seems like it would go straight to the end and straight back to the beginning. the way it is it goes to the end, taps the beginning and then cycles back from the end to the beginning again.

• it might not be logical but it is intentional:

imagine a 4 step sequence

-> 1234 1234 1234

• actually yeah it does sound good, but I wanted to find out if this was intentional before I actually started using it in any tunes as I don't want those tunes to change later when you changed that functionality.

possible other bug, when using it as a step sequencer like monochrome I notice that longer sounds like boomy kicks sound different sometimes when you stop and restart the sequence, although I'm thinking this has something to do with the tail of the previous kick changing the way the second one sounds, probably what it is, but when I stop a sequence and restart it the first kick has a little click at the beginning and the others done.

I probably answered my own question but at the same time I think there might be something there.

• Finally gettting started on the latest build..
    I'm getting strange behavior with device feedback of the volume function .Sometimes part of the volume bar doesn't draw at all, sometimes I draw the volume up on one row and it pushes the volume bar down on the row below or vice-versa, or if I press volume twice it will show two different things.
    I think it's only visual on device feedback that isn't working right.
    I have an .fxb from the last build loaded.

• --Init everything still does not init filters

• gurulogic - are you editing the supplied cfg, and if you're on mac make sure you download the updated config (with the "default sequence lengths").

if you've edited the config I need to see it I suppose, otherwise I'll just be guessing.

• >not currently, I can add that to a single CC. Keep in mind it isn't instantaneous and is thread locking so you'll likely get buffer underruns regardless of how you trigger the presets to load.

I get a small 'hiccup'when loading an .fxp that has rows playback enabled.There seems to be no effect so far on other audio being streamed through Live or any noticable timing issues when Live is slaved to external clock.I think this could be 'gently' used in a live situation.
    If I load an .fxp with no rows playback enabled I cannot discern any interruption to the audio whatsoever.

A single cc to select .fxp's would be great, although I have to confess that looking at the cc chart hasn't gotten me any closer to figuring out which cc's would be used in combination to remote load .fxp's?

Concerning buffer underruns or whatever causes it, I've noticed the last few builds or so? that when Live is slaved to external sync, when I first enable playback the audio skips and stutterl like mad during the first two bars or so.
    For whatever reason the skipping is triggered at pad pad 7, then pad 1 on the first pass, and then pad 7 on the second pass then all is good again.
    Also,Lives CPU meter is briefly peaking during these skips in the audio.

• > that when Live is slaved to external sync

Molar reloads audio when the tempo changes. If you need beat clock, don't load audio in to Molar. Please note I find beat clock unacceptable for professional applications (and yes I've been around the block) and would recommend you look into MTC solutions.

• >gurulogic - are you editing the supplied cfg,

yep..and sorry, I'm on widows XP and using the 256 version of Molar with two 128's

Here's my .cfg

• >and would recommend you look into MTC solutions.

Thanks for the tip

• vol page seems fine here with your config for me. Is the problem only after loading your old fxp ?

• >Is the problem only after loading your old fxp ?

Nope.If I just load the bottom eight rows, everything seems fine.
    If I load the top row and select "next wav+rows below" the top 10 3/4 rows show volume information and appear to feedback correctly when I press VOL.The rows below are unlit on device and the feedback is erratic.

• @Steve:

Hey Steve, congrats on the job. And thanks for tightening Molar up before you head off. I may be too late here (I've been mostly away from my computer for the last week and now I'm quite behind... haven't even downloaded the new beta yet) but I would love to set mlr-style reverse per row in the config somehow. I like using it on melodic loops, but not so much on drums/percussion...

Thanks!

• -swing only goes to 93 on device and only the first 15 pads are illuminable.
    I presume this is because the desired value has to set by pressing one pad to the right,similar to minilooping within rows (and the inabilty to have a 16 step loop in momentary mode)

-For some reason output 1 is significantly louder than outputs 2-8

-Still occasionaly getting stuck leds on pads from scrolling on device
    I don't need scrolling on device so I will probably just turn it off

-I'm trying to figure out how the LED draw? settings in the config work but [0] LED draw? LP1 loop position in row (1) and [1] LED draw? LP1 + absolute timeposition (0) both seem to have the same effect of either showing timeposition or not and I can't seem to tell if [1] LED draw? LTG last pressed pad in row (1) changes anything or not?

-I know it's beyond request time but if it would be incredibly easy for you to add shift+drag wave on gui or click on wav image to make scanning for a sample start point on SND/SN1 rows faster would be usefull (I'm loading long loops and scanning for one shot samples within)

-Yes, I intend on spending the rest of the day hammering my way through every single function and feature on Molar :)

[edit:whoops, I totally gapped on a previous engagement this evening (with Monome) Looks like the rest of the day/night will be tapping not hammering ;) Hammering will continue tomorrow]

• Found a couple of bugs in the 40h/xp version:

All SN1 rows are triggering notes on channel 1, while the note offs are on channel 1-7.

With FILT linked to pitch, I get no visual feedback on the monome when using filt-function pad.

• Could it be possible to have a LP1/LTG row disable (sound stops) when you disable a metasequence thats playing in that row?

Right now, when I disable a metasequence, the row continues to loop as normal.

I can see why that's totally favourable in a lot of situations, but it could be cool to have the option in the config file or GUI.

• @Steve

I tried the 2/4 bar audio record on a friends PC over the weekend and it worked fine, so what ever the problem was on my laptop is obviously just limited to that.

• 128, XP, AL, July 4th build

Hammered it yesterday and it seemed very solid. Had one crash but couldn't reproduce, I think it might be memory related as i had a bunch of other stuff open at same time. Found one issue, (same prob as dby):

-No visual feedback on monome when using filt-function pad with FILT linked to pitch.

Extending randomise to work on filter graphs would be the choccy topping but if not no bother at all we have a behemoth of a monome app here! An absolute belter.

-Thanks for the name change Steve and good luck with the job!

• hey, i am trying latest version and im a bit confused with lpi rows. led draw of looping and play position is it gone or can i configure that in cfg file?

how can i increase ram for molar? when i record 6 or 7 loop audio gets a bit weird.

• @loch ness

I believe this section of the config controls led draw.Working "normally" looks like this:

[0] LED draw? LP1 loop position in row (1)
    [1] LED draw? LTG last pressed pad in row (1)
    [1] LED draw? LP1 + absolute timeposition (0)

and I believe this section applies to ram usage/availability:

[24] MaxBufferSize in seconds @ 44.1 (decrease to save RAM)
    was previously hardwired at 32; but 24 is lots (8bars @80 BPM @44.1)
    please note that you can't load embedded wavedata patches that utilise a larger buffersize, e.g. if you have made presets with EMBED WAV and they have very long loops in them, you might want to keep this number at 32 for now.

off to bed...

• thank you, gurulogic! ill try it

• quick question about routing Molar in Live with multiple instances.

basically what i want to do is have each row on the Monome have it's own output mapped to an audio track in Live (using Molar_128). the same for the Lemur (running the MolarLemur VST).

i have all set this up sucessfully and added a basic mixerinterface on the Lemur which controls the volumes and sends of the 16 Live tracks (not controling Molar but the Live tracks via MIDI mapping).

now i want to use pairs of Molar/MolarLemur instances for each song/track in my live set and mix them through the 16 channel Lemur interface. is there a way to set this up so i can use the same audio tracks and interface to control Volumes/sends/mutes ... don't really know how to explain this well ... let's say i have 20 songs = 40 instances x 8 tracks ... so many tracks to set up in Live ... i'm not super confident with complex routing in Live yet ... i am trying to get away with say 4 pairs, 2 doing rhythm and 2 for bass, pads and other stuff.

i suppose there is no way around having hundreds of tracks in my live window, i'll minimize them all i guess and use the 'Audio To' popup tp send them to the first 16 tracks which i have Midi mapped to the Lemur interface ...

or should i midi map them in pairs of 16 to the same CCs than the first 16 and the Lemur interface ?

is there an advantage to either method or maybe something else i haven't thought of ?

805 x 601 - 99K
    1228 x 441 - 141K
  • > is there an advantage to either method or maybe something else i haven't thought of ?

yes, you can make tracks in Live named KickMaster, SnareMaster, etc and turn Monitor ON, then route every corresponding Molar track/subtrack to these "master" tracks, and automate the master tracks. (or you could use returns instead of tracks)

as for everything else in the thread, I'm working on stuff instead of spending the time replying ;)

• Copy/Paste sometimes stops working when I try to assign different function buttons.

It seems, after some testing, that I can't reassign any of the 0-7 functions to 100+ functions, with the exception of volume, without breaking copy/paste.

(40h/xp)

• odd things, i am trying to change the led draw for lp1 rows in cfg file and everytime i try to rescan, it crashes my ableton. i got it work using custom vst folder, but it still doesnt redraw led on lp1 rows. is anybody else having trouble with this?

another thing was when you capture live input on a row via wav+2nd pad and capture again on the same row, I can hear both loops, the second loop doesnt override the first one, is this normal?

live7, osx10.4

• no more crashes, but the problem with lp1 rows still remains. cant reproduce the loop on loop thingy, maybe its time for bed

• After I have turned on quasi-overdubbing for metarecording, how do I turn it off?

Just so I can still do improvisations and stuff without recording them, after the fact.

• >no more crashes,

first off, you don't need to rescan the vst folder if you change the config. You just need the plugin to re-instantiate, e.g. delete it then undo. I can't be sure that Live is crashing related to Molar at that point, without seeing a crash log, which you can email or whisper me if you get any crashing.

> but the problem with lp1 rows still remains.

I redid some LED workings today; theres also a possiblity your config file is wrong/offset by 1 as I believe all states should be possible. but I'll be posting a new beta some point relatively soon

> cant reproduce the loop on loop thingy, maybe its time for bed

I can't imagine that somehow happening inside molar if you mean 'mixed'.

>It seems, after some testing, that I can't reassign any of the 0-7 functions to 100+ functions, with the exception of volume, without breaking copy/paste.

I don't get that, you say if you swap e.g. metasequence and pitch then copy/paste doesn't work? I did find a bug earlier with copy/paste relating to LTG rows (?) so maybe that was the issue. Also now when copy is held, I draw a '+' of LED's around the lastpressed pad, and a 'X' of LED's around the copy location, if any (thereby indicating paste on next push).

• >crashes

i have found out that when i get a crash, Live with Molar will crash after that unless you delete the preferences in /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live\ 7.0.7

both files:
    Preferences.cfg
    Undo.cfg

this was suggested by Ableton tech-support. works very well for me ... just make sure that once you have set up all your Live preferences again (especially your library folder if you have it on a separate disc) to create a ZIP of the 7.0.7 folder (with right click 'Create Archive') .. this way if you have a crash, you can just trash the 7.0.7 prefs folder and extract your backup

has become sort of a routine for me since i have quite complex prefs for Live ... the whole Molar, Lemur, Monome,Live thingy works perfectly until i have a crash (very rare at the moment), after that it'll crash all the time until i restore clean prefs ...

hope this helps

• -Init This Row Wav does not init Wav on row.

-no volume bar on device or GUI when Volume is used to scale midi out velocity
    (probably the way it's supposed to be as volume bars only appear on rows with loaded Wav)

• just a silly newbie question ... euhm .. could someone explain to me in a nutshell the difference between:

SND and SN1

LTG and LP1

i've tried to wrap my head around this (RTFM etc) but can't really figure out the advantages and uses of one or the other ... yet ;)

• @DiscoPimp
    Go here and scroll down to the heading: ROW MODE DESCRIPTIONS
    That should help.

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=1238

• bluddy hell ... so many thx for this link ... and how could i have missed JAM MODE ??????????? this post should be linked to on the front page under Documentation !

got goose bumps now ....

• meta recording question ...

when i hit meta and the rightmost pad in the row to get out of meta for this row, all patterns i had stored on previous pads with edit or jam for this row are gone ...

am i missing sth ?

• >am i missing sth ?

That shouldn't be happening.Can you reproduce the problem?If so you had better post the exact steps to take to reproduce the problem and supply your system/host/Monome specifications.

• >After I have turned on quasi-overdubbing for metarecording, how do I turn it off?

So far as I can tell, after pressing Meta+Lowest right pad to enable overdub, pressing Meta one more time seems to exit overdub.