aleph.

• this is looking so cool...

• it sounds very good

• Okay i wouldn't mind if someone would give some explanation...

• @gli - yeah, power consumption is definitely another thing to consider (I just fried one of my Euro PSUs recently due to not bothering calculating the total amount...). You could always throw in a Tip Top uZeus though!

@karaokaze - yeah, I wondered about that too!

• Well, re-watching it, it makes more sense too me. Thanks for the video !

• @karaokaze : yep, that's what i've figured out as well. So i guess this is what's happening.

• sounds about right @karaokaze

• very nice.

• the modular synth is purely driven by the CV generated from the life simulation. first cable is a pulse for sync, second is overall density, third is the horizontal location of highest density, final is vertical location of highest density.

lots of weird things happen as a result. what i like about this system is that it's a sort of meta-control for several synthesis parameters. rather than individually tune parameters it can create this complex gestures. with this simulation it's often by accident, such as that weird horizontal glider that happened unexpectedly.

• that glider was a chance happening? lol. i thought you'd unlocked a bonus warp whistle level or something.

• @karaokaze,

Domain registries make a lot of money off of folks reserving names post high-school.

(and on a related note, someone contacted me a while back about trying to buy my twitter account, because they had snagged "greaterthanzero" in so many other places. In retrospect, I probably should have taken the money -- I almost never use Twitter...)

• Watching that last video get me thinking of clocks. I assume you guys have already coded some some sort of clock system into the looper, etc?

I'm imagining the Aleph providing clock to other things as well as the ability for Aleph "programs" to accept clock from other sources (even other Alephs) via CV or MIDI? SO many interconnection options!

• we haven't actually coded much in terms of external clocking, but it's not a huge endeavor to add.

one thing we'll be looking to do is set up a feature request system via github.

• Love github. Sounds great :)

• what's not a clock?!

interesting demonstration and cellular patterns...

• @awaymessage

maybe I should have been specific to say CV Clock and MIDI clock?? In this case an audio rate signal is certainly not a clock.

• I love the concept. I think I'll be using this extensively with eurorack and I already know I'd like more gates/triggers. Using those nice CV outputs for digital duties is possible but a bit of a shame in my opinion.

What are some ways that you envision that I can DIY some more gate outputs? I assume drilling four holes in the side, implanting four 3.5mm jacks and wiring to some of the I/O pins is not really helpful because the voltage levels are too small? Is there space inside to put a single-supply opamp circuit for the extra gain? Or is this a closed box and we are expected to really only hack it via software? Of course, I can see building a separate gate/trigger breakout box that interfaces with the aleph via USB or that I2C bus...yeah that's probably the way to go I guess.

Or perhaps I'm missing the bigger picture?

• You'd be amazed what I would drill holes into if it makes my life easier. ;-)

• tiny i2c gate out would be hardly any work. good first project, maybe i'll make it the demo.

• @tehn, that would be really awesome! btw, is it possible to power such a gate circuit with one of the power rails in the aleph or is it going to require its own power source?

• needs power. it'd be similarly easy to make a euro-format ii interface with some gates. then power is done.

• THAT would be awesome...someone please make it happen :)

• this may sound strange,
    (which is why i didnt say so the first time you showed the encoder caps)

but
    they look VERY inviting and touchable

almost like the old Gamecube analog stick material

• @karaokaze - thanks for the link, as you say great interview - bees sounds exciting
    @tehn - wonderful new video and pictures
    ...busy thinking of ideas for apps...

• i'm anxious to see midi happening, polygomé and or press cafe type stuff.

• Is it forbidden or highly unpopular to sell firmware (or whatever its going to be called) for the aleph?

• highly unpopular... considering there are 100 units being produced to start, it would be a very limited audience of people, most of whom probably support free software / open source. Probably a terrible business decision to make a product for such a narrow audience.

So it could be frowned upon, and further unsuccessful

I'm a giant neck beard free software guy though.

• @kotdot

tel me your idea and i'll tell whether its worth buying :)

• Sort of unnerved, the idea of selling "firmware," seems to me it goes against everything that this device will be about. Do people sell monome apps?

I dream of this being more like arduino then anything. Your designs help and or inspire new and greater designs.

The talk I'm hearing, leaves me wanting my money back and you can have your thirty users.

• Quick query WRT Monome & aleph

What grid sizes can be connected? We see a lot of 64s in demo videos, but what about, say a 256 or a 256 and a 64 or 2 x 256 etc...

• @tanais - i reckon so.

on a different tack - was the usb host functionality built on LUFA?

http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/LUFA.php

i'm still eyeing a project to build a eurorack module to plug in a monome and do stuff.

it would be cool to have a lightweight atmega that could run (modified?) code developed for the aleph - like the sequencer stuff, etc.

eg - http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/files/LUFA/Doc/130901/html/_page__a_v_r8_support.html

• Wow. Interesting reactions to the idea of selling things to run on the aleph. Clearly anyone who would sell their services or products to the monome community are not out to just make quick buck right? And all of their decisions are not restricted to making "good business". I can think of at least one business that is doing just that ;-) for the monome community.

So what if madronalabs made a version of aalto that could run on the aleph. Still wouldn't pay for it?

• @kotdot it depends

my gut reaction was YES
    but stepping back and thinking: 1) aleph is already a unique synth, so i wont know how it compares to aalto until i properly explore what it alone is capable of

2) randy likely couldnt/wouldnt do a straight port of aalto for aleph...the intent of the app was to have all the main controls on one unified page

3) whatever madrona [may eventually] make for aleph will be free

as i jokingly said, i cant determine whether i'd pay for what your currently planning without knowing what it is but if there will be plenty of incredible free apps to use -- why would i pay?

it would have to be so clever that nobody else in the community [including ez or brian] could make it

unlikely
    but even then, price would be a factor
    ///

what i AM interested in buying
    is unique hardware that plugs into the i2c port

if you or anybody else come up with ideas or diy devices for ii you'll have my instant attention

• everyone absolutely has the right to sell their own work in whatever form it takes - even a C program for the aleph.

to suggest otherwise is churlish - and that recent thread which shall remain unnamed left a very bad taste in the mouth. lets not go there again.

• No the question was not meant to imply that I am planning anything. I definitely don't have the DSP hacking ability to create something so awesome that people would pay for it. I'm just trying to understand this community that seems to come with the aleph and other monome gear.

So I guess the consensus is it's okay to pay for hardware but not software? Does this mean that aleph users as a community will ostracize and shun anyone that asks to be paid for an aleph plugin? I hope not. I hoping for a bit more openness. Also I would be a little worried that quality will suffer for certain types of functionality. Sure loopers and delays will pop up for free because they are fairly straightforward to code and there really isn't a "sound" particular to one delay or looper especially when they are all going to be using the same clean audio path. On the other hand, I'm no expert but I have the sense that creating a really great professional sounding reverb takes a lot of know-how and research that will not likely materialize for free. Can you tell now that I just I want a really nice reverb for my aleph? ;-) Just kidding.

Please realize that I'm just hypothesizing and gathering data. I have no agenda other than self-education. Also, one or two responses to my question does not equal community consensus but I think the aleph is definitely going to be pushing the envelope on what open-source can practically provide.

• let's just say that it's not really in the spirit of things as it's a new device with a very limited run the growth of which will rely heavily on the efforts of the early adopters. as ootini said though if someone writes a program and decides to charge for it it's not worth forming a lynching mob.

• @ootini

Oh there was a discussion on this topic already? In that case, maybe I should go look for it and educate myself there first before taking up threadspace here. Sorry peeps! My previous comment was written and submitted before I saw ootini's comment.

• @kotdot

there is no consensus
    everybody feels differently on the subject

my statement about hardware/software is only my silly personal preference
    its not as if i bootleg software apps or dont value the skill time & effort of the folks behind them

supporting craftsmen and artists shows appreciation for their work
    usually that support also springs from a selfish desire for well-made things

so whether its hardware or software (monome-related or not) if i genuinely find it useful
    i'd save up and buy

• @gli

You're definitely right. I totally screwed up that part of my comment where it seems that I imply there is a consensus here to not pay for software. That definitely came out wrong. :facepalm: I really just meant that part to be a question with no undertones. I would go back and edit but there it is, screw ups and all.

• understood

i agree with your statement above
    aleph is quite an ambitious project and its gonna be fun watching what direction it and its users take

• i honestly think it's such a small user base that paid firmwares wouldn't be terribly profitable, though i'm not against it. do you know how much work it is to support software?

think of it this way-- we're not forcing people to share their private monome patches. just because you might see someone using a custom patch in a video doesn't mean we all get to use it.

in the past when i've vocalized against selling patches that pretty much enabled launchpad users to tap into the monome library, which meant we (myself and the community) would suddenly be flooded with support questions, which is somewhat opportunistic.