White Whale feature request. Pattern backup/transfer.

• Maybe there's already a way to do this, but here's what I'd like to do:

Attach that special USB cable used for firmware updates to my computer, and grab the pattern memory off of the White Whale and transfer to to my Mac. THEN, take said pattern memory file, and upload it to a different White Whale. Basically, the ability to create patterns, songs, etc on one White Whale and continue working on them on another one, and bounce back and forth.

Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

• this might be possible using dfu-programmer to dump the flash to a file. then if you want to write a file back to flash, there's another option.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/dfu-programmer

i'll try to find a moment to try it. you'll need a USB A-A cable.

• That would be great, thanks! I have the USB A-A from doing firmware update.

• ok. figured it out. it's commandy, beware. tested in OS X with dfu-programmer 0.7.0

WARNING. i'm fairly confident in this procedure, but this is advanced stuff. if you brick your module, i can fix it, but i'll require you pay round trip shipping.

have your dfu-programmer installed already via http://monome.org/docs/modular:update

open a terminal. get into a folder where you want to store your files. power up WW while holding the PRESET key. this starts the WW in bootloader mode.

dfu-programmer at32uc3b0256 read > n.hex

where "n.hex" is the name of your file. it must have .hex as an extension.

at this point your unit is still in bootloader mode. if you want to start fresh, just run flash.command for a clean slate.

otherwise, to resume as-is:

dfu-programmer at32uc3b0256 launch

to restore a "n.hex" file (get into bootloader mode first):

dfu-programmer at32uc3b0256 erase
    dfu-programmer at32uc3b0256 flash n.hex
    dfu-programmer at32uc3b0256 launch

done.

• this will work will all of our modules, not just WW.

• @dudadius did you try this out?

• Could make for a nice grid/modular style "remix" project with shared WW files...

• @tehn sorry, got sucked into a mixing session last few days...I will try this out today!

thank you so much...

• @tehn It worked! It was indeed, 'commandy' [coughs] but I had my IT guy looking over my shoulder and we figured it out. Now that my laptop is all squared away, I think transferring files shouldn't be too bad. Thanks again! :)

• woah cool development tehn.