app : The Party Van

• Hey Rodrigo,

I've tried this a number of ways now, with no happy ending yet ;)

I think I've got the right patch file - have a look if you can, let me know what I've done wrong?

So much fun - many thanks mister :)

Best,

Phil :)

616 x 722 - 110K
  • Here you go, this should send/receive from the right place. I've not tested it, but this should only work when you are on page4.

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
    707.3ocyVtsbZCCDF9Z7SgFcStg5nC9D8t9bzoSFgsHQYrkYjEojlIu6ckLF
    Lofw4.PuwXuRr5e+ztqzKASvyqWKavnui9IZxjWBlLwaxYXxlumfqDqyKEM9
    og0xeWO+Q7z1grx0VuYCRXxqWYi5FAduTZsOuT15cLF8qMCsnVaWHx8CP5Yq
    Q8GuMJKryrdUkRC9oo+bWJr4Onz2emQlaa8dZL7WPz3H2OwYtmLvKaWRUgWk
    fx+FG2aI0hJ+Rh+gQIJ6FIutr1z5XRHOIJkjLEdKijlEwgkwuV87Nnx1v0KS
    5FqM1mKacN1Y30f.2ioijy40UURs8e.svb+J2.HUCZQsAcCvcD+lt4szHafQ
    EVUstGenIzvznzLBHeHfB4bFgScAEw+nenrC3ziCbJKYqCY7jV568FibXtSI
    3ChKxWBtNVZIrPRD+3IkS+JRLYmJwbCghFLwb1oSL2mbryO4tcovXe9VoN+1
    BYoUbsAIcVbXRbDgwf2Y7gvIK85vyiU3BSvhNQ06Xq93jdkyQjskympD7JTA
    13NXPoivexTig5EkwCiXjH..7TeIV7fYFQm6S.Nq.0kwPIDxY7f1S2OCJCYT
    VZxLf0oCw532aQH8LytRYARWapDkH5PGL7ogHebIr7Y6pdICl1lbcP4hxZvs
    C13etPeO98eEhcTXu7IxPPHaGDf8PumRFrYNb.FfJqzbmTKlWt21HDmpJH1b
    5b6lHH9Nijvgqj8BDWpzu8Jz9n0Yeet1Tuxj2AtM2EEsKLKjMVk1e0sdywcN
    VuI8fpnPp6GEEpFWf4YD4faviUNIiPNQWL0LaDpI9hol2rMbX4L6hImrQnlj
    +qTiaqhdQTS7HTS1GjMsk7hkKeRZZ13RuPflIO1dkgzoAssQZ+z6QrQ9jpa9
    sVfyhdPYgtgqLscVVm01gGWUWHM5UJeeo.2J+ZveAPauNJL
    -----------end_max5_patcher-----------

• Hey thanks Rodrigo !

This time we are getting light at the Arc dial, but no response, no apparent data flow.

You've already been very generous with your time, I sure don't expect you to keep tunneling down this hole with me any further - but I will send you this last screen shot and let you know I'm using TPV 1.0 rather than 1.1, FWIW....

Happy weekend - !

p.s. your patches are laid out immaculately - hats off man

743 x 699 - 142K
  • Hmm, I guess check to see if you get numbers out of the route 2 object, and if so, if you then get numbers out of the arc 1000 object. You can set up some print objects as test point to check it while running the whole patch.

• EUREKA :)

In your code snippet: the Route object after the "r arcout4" object had this path:

/party/enc/delta

I saw that in your Arc Mapping subpatch (within the tcg_abs file), there was a similar Route object, but with a different path:

/monome/enc/delta /monome/enc/key

I copied the latter path into the former Route object...

And it works!

Many thanks Rodrigo.

Phil

p.s. If you want to use my 128 and arc 4 to build out functionality for those two devices I'd be most happy to loan them to you.

Here is updated code snippet:

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
    681.3ocyVtsbZCCDF9ZySgFcStgRzAehdWeN5zIivVjnTaIFYQJoYx6d0Aav
    jBtNItjbiAu5v9ued2U5oYQvUpc7FH3qfuChhdZVTj2jyPT66QvZ1thJVieZ
    PI+WpU2CmGFxv2Y7l0.ltPs0D2MRgpRoCaLZAMMNCkN29ubTVdLcN.u.4e.9
    Q67kaqsKuha7tA2ZcsRZVyJ3Nand1ZD+1aCSVzYNrZyia3AuBg626MLSwcB4
    s2n4ElvnYIdAjD69II28jP5IGQoOrrg5WnvdNVxp86O7aZAqpajFyiUAyvCg
    iP1EMHmsmmMy8X9H4bgptlKM+EnY5a25F.HZ.qUZvUVtCnWAOIFQmG.XR5hr
    3rbj8iAglFnAxyAzo4.FMxvE+FB2ykVYCFNfd5niLEIIyGUhRKghGLQY46NQ
    gL0j65ZkTUyulKKttjWYXGY4m7GOMYoSEYGGcwKSVjlDiHDKbiwCwXR16Fxz
    IrZzNACXpJIoH79RRZrsqIkfn3+cc4kurrw0sWHmnl8nWe11oZnkSWDSPwVf
    Qy70oIzgxjhe2IRSHPcYLXDBA+HOMjXKCIXRV5RK6xFhcIel5zYYWEuDHU5Z
    VE.etSK9uCw9IfzkGpdQClFl9gjFttRY2igOV0t.QscRNWrGIV+1YDMbu+UL
    4sG30Z2WGOnRGEAOJWDMD.yg62PsEeFt9Ftjsp5nOvuBD58ArRHe48h8B1Y+
    Xt1n1pK5B716KBNnzRdiQHYFgR1aNtiw5Mo6DkkbYeAWJZbwP44u93XkyKb0
    o0yxKlbRFgZxuXpIeDpwoX7mF0jdwXyxQxlKiZRGgZheipITxy1r4AttocK8
    Bw1C79vEaxlOKz8K7peGgZ9Cht4GrXOK5Ngw1PaqNztYWdnAOrVUx0xsh11M
    VO+7r+f8oYnL
    -----------end_max5_patcher-----------

518 x 973 - 101K
  • Ah that's what it is. In 1.0 the path was /monome but for 1.1 I switched back to /party. If you upgrade to 1.1 (which you should!) you should change the code to /party.

(you don't need the bit about /key, only the /delta)

• updated finally to 1.1. seems to be rockin. hoping to get some work done with them if i can get off my ass. nothing force quit and verb worked. need to get fresh again with the pages.

• OK TPV with the Arc mod is a gem - all running great. May mod the other TCG instances the same way :)

Meantime here is a link to one of today's improvs - solo guitar into TPV, monome 128 and arc4.

Hats off Rodrigo. Onward !

https://soundcloud.com/phil-clevenger/squirrellex-141130-improv-02-monome/s-twspG

• Is it possible to use "MIRANOME64" with party van and mira on my ipad ?

• Don't know. Depends on how thorough the parsing is on it. If it takes all the messages serialosc takes, it should be fine.

• If you are looking at feature requests for the future - one day I'd love to see:

- Direct MIDI control for TCG volume for each available TCG instance
    - Direct MIDI control for Cocolase volume for each instance

And definitely if you implement Arc4 support, one encoder for Page 4 should be dedicated to TCG instance window size :)

• Yeah I've added that to the list. Shouldn't be very time consuming, but I'm currently in a complete refactoring so it works/looks right in Max7, and don't want to get my 'streams crossed' in github.

• I know what the crash is coming from*, no workaround yet, but still tidying it up so it looks pretty.

*crash is coming from a couple of Alex Harker's externals and he's aware of the issue.

• Sorry in advance if this is answered elsewhere. I couldn't find it. I'm having trouble making Midi Learn work, and I'm wondering if either I have a bug (v1.1) or I am just doing it wrong. Can someone explain how Midi Learn is supposed to work? The way I have done it, I enable Midi Learn, and then hover over the parameter I went to edit, then turn a midi knob, and it is supposed to assign that knob to that parameter. It works, in that moving the knob changes the parameter, but that relationship isn't remembered. The second I hover over a second parameter and change a second knob, the first parameter and knob cease to function as a unit. Am I missing a third step?

• That was my experience as well -- I had to click learn, hover, turn knob to map and then click learn midi learn off. Repeat as necessary for for the next control(s). Not sure if that was Rodrigo's intent, but it wasn't too much a pain that I wanted to bother him about it. :)

• I didn't write the MIDI learn code, it's from the c74 forum, and Benjamin added it to like v02 years ago, and I kept it from there on.

I don't use it, but what spacelord said sounds about right.

• Thanks @spacelordmother and @rodrigo. So, do you have to do that every time you setup, or can you save settings? I've never used the new Presets function, but I imagine that's involved.

• The MIDI learn should save a settings file automatically, and load it each time. Same goes for the preset system.

• So an external raja and I have been working on for the last few months is pretty much ready to release. I've made a thorough help file, and am in the middle of doing a tutorial video, but for now, I want to do a mini release here on the forum to see if anyone can find any bugs or anything either one of us would have missed.

The external is called karma~ and it's basically a mega looper. It will make up the core of the party van once it's done and I updated everything around it, as well as the rest of my patches that use live sampling/looping. I'm really happy with the feature set and implementation.

There are 2 versions of the external included (along with the help file). The (b) version is the 32/64bit version that will run in either version of Max (6 or 7, or 32 or 64). The non-b version is a purely 64bit external. The features in both are the same, it just has to do with how things are calculated internally.

It's mac only for now, but once it's being properly released there will be a win version.

So please, test it out, and let me know what you think, if the help file/examples makes sense, and most importantly any bugs you run into. If you do find a bug, make note of which version of the external you are using (it posts to the Max window), and what version of Max you're using (6/7 32/64).

Enjoy!

• Always contributing you two! I will test it out on Mac but also looking forward to a win release. If you need someone to compile on Win, let me know. I think I can handle that but never having built an external - something I'd love to try, even as a simple build.

• good stuff guys!! just gave it a quick spin and all seems to work properly. especially like the wraparound/append stuff.

the only thing that didn't work for me is using the num keys for jumping, probably cause I got AZERTY keyboard.

tested in Max 7/64 bit ... would be great if you could integrate buffer's new stretch function for true varispeed (instead of pitching up and down along with the tempo).

Tx for the effort guys!

• Glad you've dug it. The num key is probably due to the keyboard layout. Not super important to the functionality of the patch as the auto-jump shows the same behavior.

I haven't spoken to raja about the dirac stuff in Max7, so I don't know how complicated it is (I would imagine VERY), but will have a look at the buffer stuff, though I can see that being nearly difficult to implement elegantly (so the object knows the new in/out points based on operations happening outside of it (IN the buffer).

• awesome u guys! great documentation. checking it out now.

• Thanks for clarifying Raj. I didn't realize it was this complicated. Anyway, even without the dirac stuff this is a great external!

• I found a bug on the last version of party van:

on the MIDI CC MAPPING
    050-057 - wtpa1 slice triggers
    the manual doesn't say that it works only on channel 2
    AND
    the CC051 doesn't work and doesn't trigger the second slice

• Yeah it's MIDI channel 2. There was a reason for this, but I forget. Probably something to do with me sometimes using a MIDI keyboard with the patch and not wanting to cross wires.

Good catch on the CC51. There was a misconnected patch cord. Here's a fixed version of the wtpa1 subpatch.

I've not pushed any changes to the github in a while since I've been doing a massive wad of revisions to the patch, getting it Max7 ready (still crashes, but making it tidier and looking better).

• CHANNEL 2!!

I tried and tried and tried to get TPV connected to my controllers through Ableton to no avail, in the end assuming that it had to do with Live's notorious unwillingness to share controllers and ports. Taking the signal in and routing out on channel 2 works! Huzzah!

• Lol, I'll add that to the manual now. Sorry!

• No worries at all -- Live being dodgy is typically a reasonable assumption, and it made my day!

• Hola Rodrigo!

I've been gone from this forum for quite a while, as when I migrated to Mavericks TPV and generally all monome stuff would just not work on my system. I wound up selling my arc and giving away my GS64. After I realized that Sum would indeed work on my system I bought a walnut 128 (which is quite wonderful). I'm on Yosemite now and thought I would give TPV a try again as it's always been my favorite monome app. I'm very happily surprised to say that it seems to run perfectly on Yosemite. I'm very happy about this, so much so that I may try and find a used arc 2 now (though i'm reluctant to purchase hardware that is seemingly no longer being supported).

Anyhow, sorry to ramble. I just wanted to thank you again for such a wonderful application.

I may have some really stupid questions soon. I'm starting to learn Ableton Live and I'm wondering if there's a way to integrate TPV easily?

• Blungo2 I have an arc2 for sale, as new, no scratch, highres

Price can be discussed

• Glad to hear it's working well for you!

I personally never had any issues moving to Yosemite with monome/tpv stuff, not sure why. Still sorting out issues with Max7 and tpv, but that's another story.

• Starfucker, I'm a bit broke right now and will be for a couple more months. Sorry to say, trying to pay off some expensive studio gear that I can't do without.

Rodrigo, thanks! I'm very pleased that TPV is working again for me. I just wish i had some time to actually use it. So busy now...

• Hey Rodrigo, The Party Van was what convinced me to buy a monome in the first place, incredible tool. I especially love playing a file through it with the dry signal set to 0, so I have only the vaguest idea what's coming in - it's always surprising and rewarding.

• Hi Rodrigo, do you have the lofi bitcrush section working in Max7 yet? I cant figure out what is wrong there with the input fx

• @strettara
    Thanks!

@okovoko
    I've not gotten it working in Max7 yet, so still work it in Max6 only for now. On a somewhat related note, the mp3ification will finally work on windows in the next version AND I've been doing massive improvements to the core infrastructure of TPV (as part of my next big max patch) so those changes will find their way back into TPV. The most recent of these changes/additions is being able to select any of the 8 effects to go into any of the 8 slots! (so you can have 8 dirts in a row, or whatever in whatever order etc....).

• "The most recent of these changes/additions is being able to select any of the 8 effects to go into any of the 8 slots! (so you can have 8 dirts in a row, or whatever in whatever order etc....)."

YES! I have so often wanted to be able to put reverb on the incoming, and filter on the outgoing and now I can have both at once. Cheers, Rodrigo!!

• That's great! It's such a flexile wonder you've built here Rodrigo, thank-you for it

• Here's a teaser pic for how the selectable fx slots will work in the upcoming gamepad patch (and eventually in the party van). You click on the name of the effect, and you can load any effect into that slot.

This also opens up the possibility for brand new effects. Including 'cloud' present here. I'm redoing the filter module from scratch with some updated/slick gen~ filters, and have a few more effect module ideas in the pipeline ('glitch', 'resonator', and maybe some kind of tape/delay kind of thing).

• what kind of gamepad u use Rodrigo? i got a few ps3 controllers and wiimotes. looks awesome.

• It's an xbox360 controller. I really like the shape/layout of the xbox controller, it's easy to use with the computer, and high resolution controls (all 16bit).

• "and maybe some kind of tape/delay kind of thing"

YEEESSSS !!!

I can help you on this one with the necessary elements because I use a real tube tape echo in my rig !

• My dream tape echo kind of thing in Party Van could be very close of this stompbox:
    http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

I use a Dynacord Echocord Super 65 with old tubes(telefunken) and tapes.
    You can look at the classic roland RE201 and the binson which is not a tape echo but very known for pink floyd kind of stuff.

I could say that the dream tape delay should have :
    - No Preamp/ Solid State / Tube Preamp options (for coloration of the signal, a sound very warm is one of the key of this sound, not too very clinical and sterile)
    - DRIVE (for the little saturation of the sound, a lot of guitarists used tape echo for boost their sound)
    - TONE (for the repetitions, darker or higher)
    - Wow and Flutter (for the irregularities or a real motor that drives the tape, this is the key of a good tape delay sound, just a classic LFO dosen't give the real thing)
    - Tape Age (which is slightly different of the Tone and the w&f, to explain that we must understand that the tape echo "record" the sound on the tape, and because of the age of the tape, some notes are not well recorded and some notes will be cleaner that others on a tape echo. For a lot of people this is a flaw, but the magic of a tape echo is also here)

- Numbers of Heads (for the type of repetitions, which can be classic or very percussive)
    - Delay time
    - Repeats (with an option for the auto oscillation maybe, because the volume can be a real issue with some delay that oscillate)
    - Mix (Dry/wet)
    - Volume (for boost or diminish the volume)

and the cherry on the cake :
    - the ability tu put FX (chopper, stutter) on the repetitions only
    - midi controls and presets options to save some crazy sounds
    - control the place on the signal chain (before, in, after all the other stuff) and the best : in parallel of the other fx.

• Hehe, I figured that might be a desirable module. I've never been into delay, but people really like them.

I was leaning towards something with lots of 'character'. So the main stuff would be the saturation/wow/flutter/compression stuff. I'll probably take some inspiration from the 'Magnetic' M4L device, though with much less modes/control etc...

• Rodrigo,

If I wanted to learn more about Max, how to create complex and effective patches by looking into Party Van, what would be a good place to start (or how to limit myself so as to not get too overwhelmed and run screaming right away)? You've got so many things going on, but like so many people - despite the fact that others use this you created it to work with your creative personality/mode/approach.

I seem to find it most difficult just sitting down and getting back to music making and part of what I'd like to create in Max is a patch/set of patches that create a workflow that just helps me to lay down ideas. For the people that seem to be regularly creative while using these technologies, making a patch a bit personal seems pretty important and powerful.

thanks,
    mark

• One unfortunate thing about the way Max is setup up is that the more complicated patches get more and more abstracted. For example TPV is over 100 files. So nothing 'makes sense' just by looking at it. You can't really just open up one part and follow it because almost every bit of the patch is like a russian doll. Each bit has something that does an important thing nested inside of it.

The single most important thing that I learned making tpv (and learning to program in general) is to decide what you DON'T want to do, and then sticking to that. I only really got some hooks into tpv when I decided I wanted to model the functionality of a piece of hardware I was using at the time (where's the party at sampler). It was unfortunate that one aspect of that is hard as shit to do in Max (varispeed, variable length loops), but it gave me something to focus on.

To sum that up, is something I told a friend of mine who was getting into Max. To "not get sucked into the infinite". It's very easy to get caught up in making something that can do everything. That's difficult to make, and next to useless....

So what I would suggest is brainstorming something you want to build, (a sampler, a synth, some effect processors?) and how you would use it (a monome, a controller of some kind, live or in the studio), then once you have some ideas, then start tinkering. And build single components that do things you want to do. Like if you want to make a synth, make a single oscillator. Then make an LFO, then a filter etc...
    If you want to make a sampler, figure out how you want it to work (variable length? fixed length, varispeed? etc...). Then chain things together. Make each thing a 'black box' that works. The more I've programmed the better I've gotten at that. Below is a screenshot of the top level patch for my new patch and you can see that each bit is a 'block' with just audio being passed around. It's still over 100+ files, but at the top level it's big blocks.

And as far as the conceptual side of things. I agree that having something custom/personal is important to the process. I actually enjoy building things (software and hardware), so I enjoy the 'hobby' aspect of this kind of working process, so I don't mind that I've more or less focused 100% of my creative time in the last 5months to programming. It's still "making music". It's still part of the creative act. Decisions I make while programming are compositional/performative/creative. I will then manifest them later on when performing, but the creative muscle is still flexing.

That, and the more you mess with (new) technology/ideas, the more you start to think creatively in that space. It's hard to imagine what to do with a computer unless you start playing with a computer. Then ideas come. Same with a guitar, or a piano. You play with it, then ideas come. Then the ideas can drive new technological ideas etc...

Heh, a bit of a rambling rant (I'm gonna have to change my name to Rodrigo_the_resident_ranter if I keep that up!), but hopefully that answers your question(s) or gives you some ideas.