New: Stribe1 module kits!

• The monome-inspired Stribe Project has been quiet for a while, but not idle!

(what's the Stribe project? http://www.soundwidgets.com/stribe)

The original Stribe Prototype kit has been discontinued (oh no!), but a new modular kit is taking it's place: the Stribe1 (yay!).

A Stribe1 kit (also available assembled) gives you everything you need to build a "single stribe" touch-control module, minus the microcontroller. Multiple Stribe1s can be chained together with a ribbon connector and attached to the microcontroller of your choice.

For now we have building-block firmware and patches for the ATMEGA-based Arduino and Arduino MINI. Bitwacker (PIC) firmware is in the works.

The kit consists of a long and narrow PCB (~ 9 3/4" x 7/8"), a single 170mm touchstrip, 2 columns of 64 LEDs (128 LEDs total), and all the supporting circuitry, driver chips, ribbon connector, plexiglas enclosure, etc.

The instructions include step-by-step details on placing and soldering the parts, wiring it to an Arduino, and using the software.

Details, pics, and a vid can be found here: http://www.curiousinventor.com/kits/stribe

I think it would be fairly straightforward to hook one (or more) of these up to a monome 40h, but I'll defer the details to those who know the monome's internals better than I do.

The Stribe1 project was made possible with the generous involvement of Scott Driscoll of Curious Inventor (curiousinventor.com). He was kind enough to put my name on the project (and circuit board) even though he actually did most of the work.

I hope you'll check it out and please give us some feedback!

Sorry for all the exclamation marks but I'm really excited that this has actually happened! :)

• absolutely beautiful! :-) congratulations! it's really great that you've made it modular.

cheers
    daniel

• congratulations! the new design looks great.

• Congrats, the price isn't too bad either! I might get one in the future!

• that looks quite sexy~~

• first, very nice. dunno if i can afford eight, but still, very nice.

some Qs - how does the daisy chaining work? is it just one wire between 2 units? or do you have a whole ribbon cable between the two? the arduino wiring guide doesn't seem to be up on curious inventor (yet)?

is there a link somewhere to more detailed info about things like the max/msp patches created so far? or details of the OSC protocol? how much control do you have over the LEDs? can you address them all individually? thanks!

• i can only really speak about the original kits, cause that's what i have, but the LEDs are all individually addressable.

i think there has been some progress in the firmware / low level software, but i still don't think it sends OSC yet, unless it's configured to do so out of max. it communicates over serial just fine though.

there's more info on the stribe forums: http://soundwidgets.com/smf/index.php

• OK, that's way too much excitement for one day. Less than $100 a pop. I am seriously tempted to pick up 3. How much stock do you have? Will you sell out in minutes?

• Is there any info or a wiring diagram anywhere explaining how these are hooked up to an arduino? All I could find was this frame.

533 x 402 - 252K
  • Thanks for all the feedback so far! I'll try to answer everyone's questions as best I can:

@mekohler: You will need an Arduino or other microcontroller board to connect the Stribe1 to the PC. Scott has also started on some firmware for the Bitwacker board. We plan to make a dedicated stribe logic board in the near future.

The resolution of the tocuhstrip is extremely high, limited only by the resolution of the ADC it's connected to (it sends out a voltage, 0-5V). Through the 10-bit ADC on the Arduino you get 1024 points of resolution across 170mm, which is way more than I've figured out what to do with. I'll check your link for the application you refer to, and update here.

@stephen: The daisy chaining is via the 16-strand ribbon, and an additional wire between each board. 7 of the strands handle the connection to the Arduino, power, etc. 8 of the strands each handle 1 analog touchstrip signal. 1 is unused. There's a second 1 pin connector on each board with a jumper to set which strand a particular Stribe1 uses for its signal. In the end you have 8 separate analog values coming out of the ribbon. Then there is one additional wire that jumps from the DATAOUT on the left edge of the circuit board into the DATAIN on the right edge of the next board. So with the current design you can very easily connect 8 Stribe1s together with connectors spaced along the ribbon plus a bunch of small jumper wires. This works well with an Arduino MINI because it has 8 ADCs. Note that the standard larger size Arduino only has 6 ADCs. We haven;t tackled more than 8, but I imagine you could add a 2nd Arduino, or a uC with more ADCs. You start to run into power limitations of the Arduino's USB port above 8 strips.

We're scrambling to get the firmware and Max patches tidied-up. Scott and I have both wrtitten firmwares and Max patches for the Arduino. Scott has also been working on a firmware for the Bitwacker which sends and receives uOSC directly from the microcontroller.

The LEDs are individually addressable. The firmware accepts Max commands which light a whole column, or light individual LEDs, or light all the Stribes the same, etc. Just some cleaning-up to do and these will all be posted. Please stand by!

I don't know how many Scott has in stock but if they sell out we'll be sure to order another batch.

@jpsykes: Each strip has 2 MAX7221s. The way it's hooked-up to the Arduino is the analog voltage from the strip goes to one of the ADCs, then 3 digital pins send LOAD, DATA, CLOCK, to the first Stribe1. These values are daisy chained through the ribbon cable, and then 2 strands go to power and ground on the arduino. Actually there is an optional second feed for the touchstrip power, since turning the LEDs on seems to affect the voltage very slightly, so additional power smoothing might be nice (if you care about a fluctuation of ~20 points out of 1024).

• Wow josh, congrats on the new stribe1! I had been thinking of picking up a stribe kit but I like this new format even more. I had been very excited about the stribe and have been wanting to build one for quite some time, do a blog post a while back ago about it (and I think I sent a rather long rambling email to you, i think).

I really love it I will definitely be picking me up a few in next week or so!

Thanks josh for making the stribe even cooler!

• If you just lit the current position under the "slider" rather than a block, I could see one of these being an awesome addition to the bottom of a monome enclosure horizontally, so you could use it for things like crossfades.

MLR crossfading between setups..... hmmm

• Can anyone recommend a beginner Arduino board? Are any of the ones from Sparkfun (39$) good enough?

• I got a Arduino Duemilanove (actually mine was a decimilia but that's just the old version) it's pretty much ootb functional.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=666

Diecimila:
    http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDiecimila

Duemilanove:
    http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove

• @jpsykes: you are describing "cursor" mode, which is a default setting in the firmware. The cursor can be set to disappear when you let go, or to remain "sticky" e.g. retain the last-touched position.

It would be pretty straightforward to program it to maintain 2 different positions, one on each LED column. Or in your horizontal "crossfader" scenario you could even program the top column to show both left and right audio levels (left column of LEDs bouncing to the right to show right channel, opposite end bounces to the left to show left channel) while still using the bottom column to indicate your crossfade position.

One nice difference between a traditional fader and the stribe's touchstrip is that there is no physical handle, it's literally "non-linear" in the sense that you are not limited to pulling a handle along a fixed groove - instead you can tap it anywhere and the cursor will immediately jump to that positon, which allows for some neat effects, even when used as a simple volume fader.

• Too many toys not enough time. Ho hum !

• Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing exciting new projects come to life!

• Out of Stock !!!!!

Any idea when new stock is due in?

• We had no idea they'd go so fast. New parts have been ordered - you can get on a waiting list by sending an e-mail to sales@curiousinventor.com. New stock will go out in the order of the waiting list.

• Sold out, waiting lists, ohhh boy, de ja vu. Knew I should have brought one straight away.

edit: email sent

• How do you find out how many Analog inputs an Arduino board accepts?

If I wanted to hook up the stribe PLUS some other (one or two) analog inputs, would this be fine?

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=666

• http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove

right bottom of the board: analog in 0 - 6 > those are the six available analog inputs. The Arduino mini has 8 analog inputs.

So to answer your question: yes, you can hook up to 4 stribe kits and 2 additional analog inputs.

• Right, I saw the 0-6 analog inputs, as well as some digital inputs above. I wasn't sure if some modules used more than one analog input, thereby taking up more than one slot. Thanks!

• Standard Arduino (Diecimila, etc) has 6 ADCs, the Arduino MINI has 8.

This is because the through-hole version of the ATMEGA168 chip has less legs. The SMD (tiny surface mount) version of the chip used on the MINI has two extra legs w/ 2 additional ADCs.

The trick with the MINI, though, is it has no USB port on it, so you need to connect a USB stamp to it to get USB connectivity. The Diecimila has a USB port already on it.

It is however possible to multiplex the ADCs with 4051 chips to increase the effective # of inputs, as described here:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/4051

Edit: I haven't tried this yet with a stribe but it should work.

• Woot, wait list email just replied to. Now I know what my wife is getting me for xmas.

• Best christmas ever!

• freelance writer