Molar VSTi (1.0b29 - 21 Nov 2010)

• dirtysilver,

if you're on the 128 build use MIDI port 4 not 3 I'm not sure if thats the issue. Always helps me to report what Molar build you're using and what OS.

• Looks like MULTS also have a page problem when editing steps 9-16(etc) on 40h/XP. I reported this a while ago, but kinda forgot about it. Here's a more in-detail report:

All pages display the notes correct, but not the mults. Page 1-8 display and edit fine, 9-16 display and edit 1-8 mults. Page 17-24 display 9-16 mults but edit fine, 25-32 display 9-16 and edit 17-24. 33-64 has the same editing problem but doesn't display mults at all.

• Great work! Thanks!

Any chance of getting a beta14 build of MolarLemur?

• so, now that midi function control has been added, can anyone remind me whether its possible to trigger a button press in the upper grid via midi as well?

What id like to do is set up a midi clip in ableton that will send a series of 'activate row wav recording' commands (ie wav+row button 16) every bar, effectively streaming in say seven bars of recorded music across the rows of my 128, one after another. Does this make sense? Can i actually trigger a button press, or just trigger lower-row functions?

Faboo...

• lokey has a great question. Part of what I do is live looping. What would be perfect for me is to be able to hit a midi footswitch and have that record into a row of molar. Is this possible? BTW mr duda you are the man and will be recieving a donation rom me shortly.
    Thanks for molar

• @middleman - It is not possible to trigger molar pads via midi however I have done this successfully with a quick GlovePIE script I wrote that maps the MIDI foot pedal signal to the appropriate OSC signal. It works really well. Its very simple but I will try to find it tonight if you like.

The next step is to get it to play straight away, I think that would need a 'start of bar' midi message to be sent from ableton to GlovePIE so GlovePIE knows when to send the play message. I think this could be another thing that Max for Live will be able to do nicely.

• @lokey - come to think of it, I reckon what you want to do should be achievable with GlovePIE also, in a similar way to the above concept.

• It looks like glovePIE is windows only.

• channel 4 works fine with 128, it does command last row.

@ lokey

your idea is very smart! I tried to use clips that give two notes in order to activate live recording and to record. i switch the clips with a midi pedal.
    the only thing is that channel 4 won't cover all the other leds in upper rows, so I guess i need to use a midi track with channel 1,2 too if you need extra presses combinig with last row.

• @dirtysilver, thats a bug in the 128 MIDI handling, there was an X versus Y bug in that channel4 which I didn't catch which makes the notes in the wrong order. So it does/will work and you can check/use the 256 build if you want to see how it should map ;)

• @ mr duda

so do u mean i can edit config file to choose which notes can be used?

• no, I just meant mapped in the code (mapping from 0 to 127 MIDI -> X by Y)

• Hello

got a 128 and it don't work with molar, i use live6 what prefix should i set in monoserial? i put 128 and m128 but nothing hapen...should i change the name of the cfg file?

thx for the answer

• default is /256 you can change it in the .cfg file.

• thanks

but it still doesn't work maybe my config
    (i put cfg and dll file in vst folder drag a file in molar press play in live and set /256before all that)

will see later...thanks for the answer

• molar was working before with my 40H..sure it's me

• am I right in thinking there is no way to make a loop play 2 bars or 4 bars while still quantizing your presses to 1/16th notes?

• That's right. Press quantize changes with warp. 1 bar = 1/16, 2 bars = 1/8, 4 bars = 1/4.

• That's what I thought. Has to be my least favorite thing about molar. Steve I know you'll probobly say no but is there any chance you could allow quantize to be independant of warp? I don't like using anything other than 1/16th notes.

• Count me in on that 1/16 note quantize.. But I think it was discussed a year ago, and as I remember, too hard to put in the code.

I have a lot of crashes in Live (8.0.2) even if I´m not using the molar plug. When Live want´s to restore the song from the undo history it crashes again. When I remove the molar128 vst from the vst folder Live can rebuild and start up again with no problem. And again this is happening in a song not having any molar plug open. Is there a Live 8 related issue with Molar? When I tried it on a song the other day it seemed to slow Live down as well. I know it´s been a log time since I donated but I hope to see Molar work with Live 8..

Cheers

Okk

MacPro 8core 2,8GHz, OSX 10.5.5, Live 8.0.2, Molar beta14 1May

• windows link isnt working

• thanks, fixed the url

okk: don't know exactly what you're dealing with, I'm still using Live7. Crashes on OSX can often be narrowed down by looking at the crash log - as you say you aren't using Molar it sounds to be related to something else- AFAIK Molar isn't loaded at all by Live unless it has just been added to the VST folder. But I'll double check memory pointers and such on the next build.

• okk, ive had similar issues, when i updated the molar vst in the vst folder in osx. I believe it had to do with having a molar instance of the previous version loaded in my default live template. It seems to take exception to the new version, crash, them remove the molar vst from its installed plugins list. Solved by remving all trace of molar from the template, re-saving and rebooting, then adding in molar once again. Bit of a weird voodoo feel to it, really, but it all seems stable and running now. Be sure you're not uring the last versions config file, that always seems to be an issue. Just tatke the config that comes with the new one and remodify that...

• so, what is the consensus, is it possible to trigger button presses in the top rows with midi? Dirtysilver, have you been able to get that going with clips in ableton, or not? I couldnt really tell from your post...

as to the midi to osc approach, could this be set up on the mac side with, say, OSCulator or somesuch?

Crunchy_Al

• posted OSXb15
    -fixed additional channel on 128 builds (channel 4 still however) to respond to all 128 MIDI buttons in correct order (starting in lower-right with 0)
    -prevented a crash pertaining to loading saved presets
    -minor GUI optimisation (more to come)

• @lokey

hi!

i have a 128, using midi channel 4 i'm able to trigger all the buttons in the bottom row. channel 4 doesn't light all the upper leds but i guess now it's possible cause steve just did un update 2 minutes ago!

@steve

thank you!

• @ steve

is latest release just for Mac?

• uploaded PC build (b15)
    http://www.xferrecords.com/molar/MolarPC.zip
    http://www.xferrecords.com/molar/MolarOSX.zip

• Sweet. I'll play with it tonight...

Just in case one of my previous posts got lost in the shuffle (already a page back), I'd like to mention again:

---
    I'm very excited about the fix to c/p + pattern. Really useful.

One thing that could also be useful is a way to go back and edit a non-playing pattern without changing to it. Maybe if you are still holding "pat", you could select a pattern for display, edit it, then switch to it when you release "pat". Maybe a new config option for "switch to new pattern with pat release"?
    ---

This would allow for some cool and sudden improvisational changes to edited patterns. Is this possible to easily implement, or would it be a pain?

• > This would allow for some cool and sudden improvisational changes to edited patterns. Is this possible to easily implement, or would it be a pain?

More than a couple lines of code but not impossible. The first thought would be related to the interface addition (selecting a pattern without actually changing to it; PAT function-pad would be the sensible place but it already holds preset/instance/pattern changes and I'm not sure if theres room to fit another row on all devices; I suspect there is room but my brain is full of other things at this point so I'll have to check)

then its enough of a change that it'll have to wait for 1.0 to be finished, Id rather see everything solid for people before introducing new bugs..er.. features..

• hi Steve,

I've tried the b15 version on pc, it doesn't work on a 128, like nothings move on the monome. plus every file you load (40,128,256) it always shows a 256 outboard .

• ah....

I'm not sure what the new c/p + pattern feature does...

• >I've tried the b15 version on pc, it doesn't work on a 128
    Thanks, reuploaded PC build (forgot I need to do a total rebuild on windows)

> I'm not sure what the new c/p + pattern

copies all pattern data to the next pattern (youll see the GUI say e.g "pattern 2" at the top)

• sorry steve to sound peaky....

the midi map it's perfect now, but the leds won't light. they activate leds (u can see it from the GUI but not on the monome.

• im not receiving the behaviour im expecting with regards to external midi input.

Ive got a midi track sending out to the 4th input of the molar instance.
    Ive got a bar long clip, with a sustained note 0 (c-2), which should trigger the lowest-right button (wav button in my configuration), according to the beta 15 post above.
    Then ive got a note #128 trigger, which should trigger the top right button, and start recording on the top row.
    But i'm not getting any thing like this, no lights in response to the midi input, certainly no control. Am i just completely missing something? osx 10.5.6, live 8, molar128...thanks guys...

• I forgot to say....

i'm on a pc running monome 128

:)

• i tried beta15 just now with my 256. Same problem as dirtysilver:
    no led feedback on the monome although pushing buttons works.

this is on PC XPsp3, same behaviour on live 7 and 8

beta14 works ok in live 7 and 8

• uploaded new build (b16)
    http://www.xferrecords.com/molar/MolarPC.zip
    http://www.xferrecords.com/molar/MolarOSX.zip

fjxed the led feedback issue
    compiled VST's UniBin (hopefully, its a new machine/project file as the old one was causing a lot of issues)

>hen ive got a note #128 trigger, which should trigger the top right button

128 (127 that is) would trigger the top-left pad, you want to go down 15 semitones

• Nice! Did you have a look at the MULTS issue on 40h?

• I did just now, there was no 40h support there at all - it will be ok in the next build.

I'll be out of town for a few days...next weekend I'll get around to figuring out the AudioUnits implementation and whatever other issues you all can find, then we'll have a final beta and a 1.0 release

• >then we'll have a final beta and a 1.0 release

Awesome. Thank you so much for all your efforts. Sorry I haven't had much time to test in the last week or so but I'll try and make an extra effort for these final pre 1.0 releases!

• Great! I'll do a test run of b16 when I get home from work.

• @steve duda

b16 seems to work fine here on XPpc with monome256 and Live8
    I'm using molar inside pages so i have to sacrifice the last pad in the control row of molar. Pages overrides this pad's function in molar (4x4 in my config).
    Is it possible to make the 4x4 function accessible
    in some other way (e.g C/P + VOL or something)

• I have beta 16 on live 8.0.3 and my monome isn't being recognized. I have tested the monome with the maxpatch tester as well as vidvox's osc monitor and there are no problems. Molar is not the problem. It is playing but not listening to the monome. This also happens in live 8.0.2. All seems fine in 8.0.1 Any ideas ?

• Been playing around with the latest build, recording audio to LTG rows. I noticed that MLR-style pressing right-then-left doesn't work. It triggers a forward loop instead... on 40h/XP.

• Oh, another small thing: Makes no difference as far as I can see if I set "Edit Filter graph instead of Mults on-device" to 1 or 0. I can still use Nudge+Filt/Mult to switch between modes. Not that it matters to me.

• When I press down a sustain pedal to switch between functions on 40h I get this flashing "cross" indicating last selected pattern - like when I press C/P. But when I map C/P to alternate functions (10x), the flashing cross is present constantly unless I press the sustain pedal - which is kinda annoying. Other than the annoyance things seem to work fine.

I'm trying to find the best way to get Molar to work with Pages, at the moment by sacraficing two functions. Will probably get another sustain pedal to trigger the Wave-rec function - or even better IMO if page switching by midi gets implemented in Pages.

Edit: Hmm, I just noticed that Pages interfere with the Meta-overdub function as well. Looks like I'll have to trigger furthest right button with midi note as a work around.

• > Is it possible to make the 4x4 function accessible in some other way (e.g C/P + VOL or something)

You can assign it to any other location in the config. E.g. I don't personally see the need for both JAM and 4x4 I'd think one is enough depending on personal tastes.

> Molar is not the problem. It is playing but not listening to the monome. This also happens in live 8.0.2. All seems fine in 8.0.1 Any ideas ?

Not really it's a little odd, I'd be interested if anyone else has this issue or if it persists for you in the new version I'll upload soon.

> MLR-style pressing right-then-left doesn't work. It triggers a forward loop instead... on 40h/XP.

It seems fine here, do you see the steps illuminating backwards? Can you try with the default config?

>Oh, another small thing: Makes no difference as far as I can see if I set "Edit Filter graph instead of Mults on-device" to 1 or 0.

The MULT button should be editing FILT if that is set to 1.

> When I press down a sustain pedal to switch between functions on 40h I get this flashing "cross" indicating last selected pattern

I might know the cause of that, at least the second half you mention (constantly persisting on 40h). So I made one change that should fix the issue when C/P is assigned > 7. However I'm not sure on the first bit. I can't recreate the problem here.

I'm working on AudioUnits builds now, which will now support multiouts in Logic8.

• Multiouts in Logic! Very nice!